• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Ubuntu x86_64 20.04 LTS > Ubuntu x86_64 22.04 LTS Dist-Upgrade / Obsidian 18.04.48

learning_curve

Silver Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu x86_64 20.04 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Obsidian 18.04.48
As per the thread title, but also taking into account THIS Plesk Support Article, which gives detailed guidance on Dist-Upgrades...
We've got a couple of these to do shortly, so just asking before we start: Has anybody done exactly this (thread title) very recently? ;)
If so, did you experience anything that didn't quite match the detailed Plesk Support Article?
Predictably, there's both +'s and -'s in the comments section of that Plesk Support Article, but that's normal (some are just user errors anyway).
We used the Plesk Migration Tool previously (18.04 > 20.04), which was fine, but that takes a long time, plus a lot of test work & needs two servers; Source & Target.
Hence, now that Plesk do offer this quicker, simpler route, we're going to use Dist-Upgrades instead of the Plesk Migration Tool this time.

Would like to know this as well, currently planning migrating servers in near future onto 22.04 too.

I'm looking into the dist-upgrade method as well, but for my skillset & exp (haven't done this before) that might just be to error-prone (= not so wise for prod servers..). And coming from 18.04 though (will reach EOL April next year) I'd have to dist-upgrade to 20.04 first. So with all this in mind, currently leaning towards the migration method.

However, I've found a post by @Adam Makowski in a recent thread here:
Input - Plesk can now be installed on Ubuntu 20 servers running on ARM-based platforms
..mentioning successfully upgrading to Ubuntu 22 with dist-upgrade method. Maybe he can shed some light on this?
(Not sure if ARM-based platform is of any relevance in this tbh)

Also, in the comments of the dist-upgrade KB article a user states it worked successfully or him:
https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/213410369/comments/7661011071378

That's all I could find so far ;)

Btw, do you have any points of attention upgrading with the migration-method that's worth mentioning?

Would like to know this as well, currently planning migrating servers in near future onto 22.04 too.
We'll keep you posted!
I'm looking into the dist-upgrade method as well, but for my skillset & exp (haven't done this before) that might just be to error-prone (= not so wise for prod servers..). And coming from 18.04 though (will reach EOL April next year) I'd have to dist-upgrade to 20.04 first. So with all this in mind, currently leaning towards the migration method.
As mentioned, migration is what we ourselves used, to progress from 18.04 > 20.04 previously (see more on migration below)
However, I've found a post by @Adam Makowski in a recent thread here:
Input - Plesk can now be installed on Ubuntu 20 servers running on ARM-based platforms
..mentioning successfully upgrading to Ubuntu 22 with dist-upgrade method. Maybe he can shed some light on this?
(Not sure if ARM-based platform is of any relevance in this tbh)
Although x86-64 and ARM are quite different, the Dist-Upgrade procedure (that's provided by Plesk) is the same (well it is on their guidance page).
Great spot. We'll ask him, with that ^ in mind ;)
Also, in the comments of the dist-upgrade KB article a user states it worked successfully or him:
https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/213410369/comments/7661011071378
You mean Alexander Yamshanov and his post? He's very knowledgeable on many aspects of Plesk, so yes, we'll ask him too :)
That's all I could find so far ;)

Btw, do you have any points of attention upgrading with the migration-method that's worth mentioning?
Thanks for looking!
No real points of attrition, other than those already posted.
One extra plus, is that when using the Plesk Migration Tool, you can "test" i.e. "mimic" the real migration, as many times as you want, in advance.
That can lots of correctional work, which, is possibly why even Plesk lean towards this method when adding initial guidance on which route to take.

No problem, many thanks to you as well.

Good to know about test indeed, will surely look use that. I've read a lot about not-so-smooth experiences with migration too, especially on the IP change x DNS records side, but in my situation that'll be the safest still - and hopefully efficient too: migrate each server from 18 to 22 in one go.

Yes, meant Alexander's comment indeed. Hopefully some other Pleskians chime in this thread with their (recent, hopefully succesful) experience going with dist-upgrade 20 > 22.

@Gerinho We're all done. Advance reading and preparation was the key, so we did lots of it... ;)
We didn't have any issues, that either; We weren't already aware of, or, that others, including Plesk, have already posted fixes / workarounds for.
Definitely much easier than our previous Migration projects. We upgraded Maria DB from 10.5 > 10.6 at the same time, which added a little bit extra.
So... As long as you take a full server, snapshot, backup (just in case your Dist-Upgrade goes horrendously wrong & unrecoverable) it's a yes from us.

@learning_curve Thank you for taking time to post about the outcome here and great to hear it all worked out well for you guys.
Better yet, taking your response and successful outcome into account, I'm now also more seriously considering doing dist-upgrades instead of migrations. It would take away so much potential hassle & pains that come with migrations to new target servers - as was your experience already.. ;) On top of that, have the abilities for snapshots & recovery management to my disposal as well - so it'd be worth the try anyway.
Thanks again!

Back