• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Issue Unable to create the remote backup to s3: Transport error

Polsys

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian v18.0.64_build1800241008.13 os_Ubuntu 20.04
I have several servers with the same specs and the Backup to Cloud Pro+Amazon S3 Backup extension backing up to S3 seamlessly. However, one single server has problems with scheduled backups. For a few weeks, this is the error that has been found every day:

Code:
Unable to create the remote backup: Transport error: Extension transport: ext://s3-backup/subscription/4/: Error executing "PutObject" on "https://xxxxxx.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/xxxxxx/"; AWS HTTP error: cURL error 6: Could not resolve host: xxxxxx.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com (see https://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-errors.html) for https://xxxxxx.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/xxxxxx/

The server has been running for years; this problem appeared a few weeks ago.

Manual backups to S3 work well with the same configuration; only the scheduled ones fail. Things I've done already:
  • Restarted services.
  • Restarted server.
  • Incremented values in panel.ini, following Resolved - Large backup to S3 fails with WARNING (no files uploaded)
  • Checked connectivity between servers with nslookup tests: all seems ok.
  • The bucket is located in the eu-west-3 region, and I've tried changing the default extension region in panel.ini (RegionForCustomEndpoint) from us-east-1 to eu-west-3 without success.
  • Restored panel.ini values to default, no changes.
  • Deleted backup extension and reinstalled.
One point I don't understand: in the backup settings, it is not possible to indicate the region of the bucket (eu-west-3, in my case). It seems panel.ini has a default value (us-east-1) and the script connection calls to us-west-2. I suppose Amazon automatically redirects any call to the correct region.

Any idea? Thank you.

Hi, @Sebahat.hadzhi. I noticed these errors through email alerts from the Plesk panel, so the server was running. Yes, I have several cron tasks running periodically on this server, some from Plesk, others from some extensions, and a few more from user scripts (none simultaneously as the backup task). All of them are triggering well.

Have you tried these settings in the panel.ini extension?
Code:
[ext-s3-backup]
SendRequestPayerOption = off
MaxResumeAttempts = 200 
MaxResumeFailures = 200

Is the domain resolvable from the server's console? Could it be a DNS error or a typo in the domain?
The bucket name is hidden for privacy. Note that manual backups are working correctly with the same configuration.

Bash:
nslookup xxxxxx.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com
Server:        127.0.0.1
Address:    127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
xxxxxx.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com    canonical name = s3-r-w.us-west-2.amazonaws.com.
Name:    s3-r-w.us-west-2.amazonaws.com
Address: 3.5.86.129
Address: 52.218.230.57
Address: 3.5.81.135
Address: 52.218.133.26
Address: 3.5.76.144
Address: 52.92.197.42
Address: 52.218.222.1
Address: 52.218.250.113

Could the extension be configured to point directly to the bucket's region? This could mitigate the error connections.

Back