• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Unable to edit some files with File Manager in Plesk: file loads indefinitely

With no such limit in the Nginx configuration and all other things checked like ownership of the file, permission set etc., it is impossible that the file cannot be accessed. This needs to be re-checked carefully that *really* everything is correct. There has got to be a permission block somewhere. If it is not in the webserver configuration, it can only be on the file system level.
There is however some similar line in /var/www/vhosts/mydomain.com/httpdocs/nginx.conf:

location ~* wp-config.php$ { deny all }

That would be a wrong path for the nginx.conf file. I cannot say why that file exists in the document root folder of the domain. Has it been placed there deliberately?

That would be a wrong path for the nginx.conf file. I cannot say why that file exists in the document root folder of the domain. Has it been placed there deliberately?
No, it wasn't place there deliberately. somehow it was there. I am using itheme security. I think the settings inside the nginx.conf file contains settings of the itheme security.

Could your security plugin be the cause why other software cannot edit wp-config.php?
I actually deactivated and deleted the plugin but still the same. so I reinstalled it back. I can't say for sure whether it is that plugin problem. But I heard itheme security has a conflict with all in one migration plugin which I used to migrate my website.

Plesk itself runs on a different webserver, so Nginx and Apache settings of the website should not affect the accessibility of the file for the built-in editor. What you could still do is to open your browser "Tools" console, like in Firefox for example "Extras" > "Tools" > "Tools for Web Developers" to find out more, e.g. if some specific error becomes visible when you try to edit the file through editor. Else I still think it is an ownership or permissions issue of the file or the path to that file.

Plesk itself runs on a different webserver, so Nginx and Apache settings of the website should not affect the accessibility of the file for the built-in editor. What you could still do is to open your browser "Tools" console, like in Firefox for example "Extras" > "Tools" > "Tools for Web Developers" to find out more, e.g. if some specific error becomes visible when you try to edit the file through editor. Else I still think it is an ownership or permissions issue of the file or the path to that file.
The following errors shown in console:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 ()
list?modals%5Beditor…AcgBpAHAAdAAiAH0A:1 Uncaught (in promise) SyntaxError: Unexpected token '<', "<!DOCTYPE "... is not valid JSON
/smb/task/task-progress:1

Failed to load resource: net::ERR_NETWORK_IO_SUSPENDED
code-editor/domainId/3/?currentDir=%2Fhttpdocs%2F&file=wp-config.php:1

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 ()
list?modals%5Beditor…AcgBpAHAAdAAiAH0A:1 Uncaught (in promise) SyntaxError: Unexpected token '<', "<!DOCTYPE "... is not valid JSON

I found out that I can access my wp-config.php file when I log in through my ipaddress:8443 port but not when I log in through plesk url whether port 8443 or not. when using ip address the connection is unsecured although i have let's encrypt ssl installed. i don't understand why.

I found out that I can access my wp-config.php file when I log in through my ipaddress:8443 port but not when I log in through plesk url whether port 8443 or not. when using ip address the connection is unsecured although i have let's encrypt ssl installed. i don't understand why.
That is the first recommendation in the "Workaround" section from the article https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/12376964923031 mentioned in the first post of this thread.

That is the first recommendation in the "Workaround" section from the article https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/12376964923031 mentioned in the first post of this thread.
it is different because it said use domain port 8443. If you use your plesk domain name with port 8443, you still face the same problem. You have to use ip adddress with port 8443 into unsecured connection then you access your wp-config file.

Back