• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Unable to receive verp replies in Plesk 10.4.4 qmail

rjshelq

New Pleskian
Using Plesk 10.4.4 mu#18 I am unable to receive any verp encoded replies. With an older server running Plesk 8.3, I have no problem receiving verp encoded replies. Qmail is properly sending out verp encoded reply addresses with 10.4.4, but I am not able to receive any bounces and/or replies.

In accordance with qmail-users and dot-qmail documents (and exactly like I did on the old 8.3 server) I added a wildcard assignment in /var/qmail/users/assign having the general form:

+2-joe-mlist:popuser:110:31:/var/qmail/mailnames/domain.net/joe:-:mlist:

and provided .qmail files for:

joe/.qmail
joe/.qmail-mlist-reply
joe/.qmail-mlist-reply-default
joe/.qmail-mlist-owner
joe/.qmail-mlist-owner-default

with each file containing:

| true
| /usr/bin/deliverquota ./Maildir

However any incoming email arriving with an address of the verp form:

[email protected]

is rejected with a message saying "smtp;550 sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.7.17)"

Email to [email protected] works fine, but despite the wildcard assignment in /var/qmail/users/assign, any address with anything following joe is rejected.

I very desperately need to find a solution for this, in order to efficiently process the verp bounces and replies. Any help will be greatly appreciated..... Any ideas???

Solution

After considerable turmoil and tail-chasing, it turns that there is an easy fix for this problem.

In "Mail"-"Change Settings"-"Mail Settings", I simply changed "What to do with mail sent to nonexistent users" from "Reject" to "Bounce with message" and now Plesk pays attention to the /var/qmail/users/assign statements.

Apparently, when "Reject" is selected, Plesk does not pay attention to the /var/qmail/users/assign statements, and rejects users on the basis of something else.

But when "Bounce with message" is selected, then the /var/qmail/users/assign statements are employed, and the verp addresses are happily accepted.

Back