• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

unable to send mails from a clean ubuntu 12.04 and plesk 11 installation

N

Norfan

I sent a mail via
echo "Testmail" | mail -s "Testmail" MY_MAIL_ADRESS
and this mail reached my mail-account.
After this test I installed on a ubuntu 12.04 LTS server psa via
After the setup completes successfully I tried to send a mail via
echo "Testmail" | mail -s "Testmail" MY_MAIL_ADRESS
but my mail-account never receive this mail.
In the logs (mail.info) I found following lines:
Aug 1 13:50:42 testserver postfix/pickup[26498]: 91DA82EA1794: uid=0 from=<root>
Aug 1 13:50:42 testserver postfix/cleanup[26500]: warning: connect to Milter service inet:localhost:12768: Connection refused
Aug 1 13:50:42 testserver postfix/cleanup[26500]: 91DA82EA1794: milter-reject: CONNECT from localhost[127.0.0.1]: 4.7.1 Service unavailable - try again later; from=<[email protected]>

Do you know some fixes?

Try restarting all mail services:
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mailmng --restart-service --mail-component=all

Then check that psa-pc-remote service is running on inet:12768@localhost.

I did your commands and the psa-pc-remote is listening on the right port. But the problem is still there.

Output of the command:
lsof -i:12768
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
psa-pc-re 18105 postfix 3u IPv4 24457510 0t0 TCP localhost:12768 (LISTEN)

That's weird.

Do you have any firewall in place that may be blocking connections? Check that you're able to connect to port 12768, e.g. by 'telnet localhost 12768'.

Do you have SELinux (or similar) installed? Are there any suspicious entries in its log (audit.log)?

Before the installation of psa the mails reached my mail account, after psa installation not. And telnet on port 12768 works fine. I have installed the standard ubuntu 12.04 lts.

I have checked the plesk installation log and found this lines:
* Site list for mailman missing (looking for list named 'mailman').
* Please create it; until then, mailman will refuse to start.
Maybe this could the reason of the problem.

This is a problem with the plesk milter configuration. I too have the same problem on a Centos 5.7 x64 box with panel version 10.4.4 mu 41.

If you 'rem' out the following 2 lines in /etc/postfix/main.cf by adding a '#' in front:

smtpd_milters = inet:localhost:12768
non_smtpd_milters = inet:localhost:12768

and restart postfix with service postfix restart, it may allow postfix to deliver mail again.

My spam filtering is still working, so I have no idea what this milter rule does. The milter file itself is /usr/lib64/plesk-9.0/psa-pc-remote

Could someone at least document what this is actually meant to do, and how to stop plesk from rebuilding the mail config with the above lines inserted as it breaks mail delivery. :(

Thx Nikolay for your reply. I did this fix, but I think it's only a dirty hot fix. So I hope that Parallels found a solution to use postfix with milter and the ability to send mails.

There is still no fix from Parallels? same problem here with v. 11.0.9

Hello unaigs, no there is no word about this issue from Parallels. I did not receive any reply to my bug report either.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cause of problem is IPv6 using by postfix to communicate with localhost and its services including psa-pc-remote. It occurs because postfix takes a first localhost occurence in /etc/hosts config:

::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

To avoid this problem just replace 127.0.0.1 string upper than IPv6 configuration strings.

Also to fix the issue, you can disable smtpd_milter in /etc/postfix/main.cf

grep smtpd_milter /etc/postfix/main.cf
#smtpd_milters = inet:localhost:12768

and restarted Postfix.

Last edited:
Also remember to enable the postfix submission port:

sudo nano /etc/postfix/master.cf

Un-comment:

#submission inet n – n – – smtpd

sudo /etc/init.d/postfix restart

Please note that:

1) Disabling smtpd_milters will effectively cut off most of Plesk mail functionality (Antivirus, DomainKeys, auto-reply support and the like). If you do, don't wonder afterwards that something doesn't work for you.

2) It's better to enable submission from Plesk (in mail settings check "Enable message submission"). That way the panel will take care of correct configuration. If you don't absolutely need message submission it's better to leave it disabled.

I have no desire to turn off smtpd_milters if its suppose to be enabled - however there appears to be no apparent fix forthcoming for plesk or suggestions on how to resolve the issue?

A solution that works for me

1. First I edited /etc/postfix/main.cf file:

sudo nano /etc/postfix/main.cf

Comment: smtpd_milters = inet:localhost:12768
to become: #smtpd_milters = inet:localhost:12768

2. Second I edited /etc/postfix/master.cf file:

sudo nano /etc/postfix/master.cf

Un-comment: #submission inet n – n – – smtpd
to become: submission inet n – n – – smtpd

3. Third step was to restart postfix:

sudo /etc/init.d/postfix restart

4. Now in the Plesk Panel I have enabled "Enable message submission" in Serve/Mail/Mail Server Settings.

All those modifies are listed in those post above. But for me this didn't work.

5. I made one more change and all works smooth. Just go on the Plesk Panel in Mail/Change Settings and un-check "Activate mail service on domain".

I use Google Apps for email so I really don't need the e-mail function of the Plesk beside the contact forms on my website. Hope this will work for you too.

Back