• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Unable to send or receive emails after upgrading 17.8.11

Erdem

New Pleskian
Hi,

My server stopped sending emails today and I upgraded plesk from 17.5 to 17.8.11 and it didn't even start. I tried

plesk installer --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --upgrade-installed-components
removing postfix and installing qmail (it doesn't even install qmail) and installing postfix again.
I tried repair all
I tried repair mail.

So, after upgrading to 17.8.11:
bind (dns) service didn't start
postfix didn't start
I wasn't able to access Updates and Upgrades page via plesk admin
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/mail_auth_view returns empty

After trying repairing and installing plesk again bind starts and postfix starts but none one is able receive or send emails now. mail_auth_view is still empty

in the mail log if you send or try to receive email you get these error:

Jul 25 18:34:09 servername postfix/cleanup[29636]: warning: tcp:127.0.0.1:12346 lookup error for "[email protected]"
Jul 25 18:34:09 servername postfix/cleanup[29636]: warning: 6E2C7229AA: recipient_canonical_maps map lookup problem for
Jul 25 18:34:09 servername postfix/cleanup[29636]: warning: tcp:127.0.0.1:12346 lookup error for "[email protected]"
Jul 25 18:34:09 servername postfix/cleanup[29636]: warning: 6E2C7229AA: recipient_canonical_maps map lookup problem for [email protected]
I have tried troubleshooting these errors but no luck.
When I use repair mail via command line I get this error
Repairing the mail server configuration

Reconfigure all domains and mailboxes? [Y/n] y
Reconfiguring all domains and mailboxes ......................... [2018-07-25 18:36:57.787] ERR [util_exec] proc_close() failed ['/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/mchk'] with exit code [1]
[FAILED]
- mchk failed: ==> Checking for: mailsrv_conf_init... not found,
skipped​
Please help me.
CentOS Linux release 7.5.1804 (Core)

I have tried this but it didn't work.

using plesk repair mail domain.com works and it brings back the passwords for that domain. but plesk repair mail still doesn't work.

My licence is from a reseller and my reseller is slow to respond. I can't contact plesk support with my licence. it doesn't let me send the support ticket.

Hi,

My server stopped sending emails today and I upgraded plesk from 17.5 to 17.8.11 and it didn't even start. I tried

plesk installer --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --upgrade-installed-components
removing postfix and installing qmail (it doesn't even install qmail) and installing postfix again.
I tried repair all
I tried repair mail.

So, after upgrading to 17.8.11:
bind (dns) service didn't start
postfix didn't start
I wasn't able to access Updates and Upgrades page via plesk admin
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/mail_auth_view returns empty

After trying repairing and installing plesk again bind starts and postfix starts but none one is able receive or send emails now. mail_auth_view is still empty

in the mail log if you send or try to receive email you get these error:

Jul 25 18:34:09 servername postfix/cleanup[29636]: warning: 6E2C7229AA: recipient_canonical_maps map lookup problem for
Jul 25 18:34:09 servername postfix/cleanup[29636]: warning: 6E2C7229AA: recipient_canonical_maps map lookup problem for [email protected]
I have tried troubleshooting these errors but no luck.
When I use repair mail via command line I get this error
Repairing the mail server configuration

Reconfigure all domains and mailboxes? [Y/n] y
Reconfiguring all domains and mailboxes ......................... [2018-07-25 18:36:57.787] ERR [util_exec] proc_close() failed ['/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/mchk'] with exit code [1]
[FAILED]
- mchk failed: ==> Checking for: mailsrv_conf_init... not found,
skipped​
Please help me.
CentOS Linux release 7.5.1804 (Core)

@Erdem

Do you have SSH access to the server? I suppose that the answer is "yes", but I have to ask for the sake of clarity.

If so, just check the /var/qmail/mailnames directory: it should NOT be empty (otherwise, you lost some mail data during upgrade).

In general, it seems to be one of the following cases:

1 - not likely: there is some issue with your MySQL server, indirectly causing connection issues for Postfix, (read: if not visibile in log entries, this scenario does not apply)
2 - likely: SELinux related issues (read: do some troubleshooting, for instance as instructed on this page or have a look at this forum thread)
3 - very likely: you are missing some essential files (read: just check whether you can find mailsrv_conf_init on your machine)

and I would recommend to start with point 3.

I am not sure how you upgraded to version 17.8.11 and when you upgraded: before or after the issue with mail???

However, I am pretty sure that it is in your best interest to consider a clean server with a clean and fresh install of Plesk version 17.8.11 (!).

Kind regards.........

@Erdem

Do you have SSH access to the server? I suppose that the answer is "yes", but I have to ask for the sake of clarity.

If so, just check the /var/qmail/mailnames directory: it should NOT be empty (otherwise, you lost some mail data during upgrade).

In general, it seems to be one of the following cases:

1 - not likely: there is some issue with your MySQL server, indirectly causing connection issues for Postfix, (read: if not visibile in log entries, this scenario does not apply)
2 - likely: SELinux related issues (read: do some troubleshooting, for instance as instructed on this page or have a look at this forum thread)
3 - very likely: you are missing some essential files (read: just check whether you can find mailsrv_conf_init on your machine)

and I would recommend to start with point 3.

I am not sure how you upgraded to version 17.8.11 and when you upgraded: before or after the issue with mail???

However, I am pretty sure that it is in your best interest to consider a clean server with a clean and fresh install of Plesk version 17.8.11 (!).

Kind regards.........

Unfortunately plesk upgraded it self to 17.5. something even tough I switched off the auto updates. and then mail stopped working. then I tried fixing plesk installation and used plesk tools to fix the issues. they didn't work. I red it on this form that 17.5 has some issues and upgrading 17.8 will fix it. it made it worse.

I blame plesk here. can't get help from my resseler can't get help from them either. and they shouldn't push un stable updates.

@Erdem,

In a normal situation, Plesk would not "upgrade" itself to a new(er) version and/or break the installation.

I am pretty sure that you cannot blame Plesk, but should ask your hosting provider some rough questions, like: "why the hell are you not providing support?"

In essence, your hosting provider can solve this issue ...........and also is obliged to do so, if the mistake is made by them.

Regards......

Back