• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

underscore in domain name

John Weng

New Pleskian
Couple of customers have underscores in their domain names (worked on a different server for the past 15+ years), but Plesk refuses to accept them. Is there a workaround? Thanks.

I suppose that this is due to meet the requirements of the document RFC952:

1. A "name" (Net, Host, Gateway, or Domain name) is a text string up
to 24 characters drawn from the alphabet (A-Z), digits (0-9), minus
sign (-), and period (.). Note that periods are only allowed when
they serve to delimit components of "domain style names".

Plus all the domain name registrations I went to removes the underscore when I tested, which just goes back to the requirements of RFC952 that IgorG posted. You might want to make sure that sure that they didn't mean dash.

The only time I see an underscore in the domain is when setting up a SRV record (autodiscover_._tcp.domain-name.com) or as a TXT record for a domain key. Is this what you might mean? if so, it would be added as a DNS record and not as a domain.

Back