• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Update MariaDB from 10.4.32 to 10.5

What backup should I make to roll back/upgrade?
When upgrading database servers there is always the risk that databases can get corrupted or the installation gets messed up. But I recon the risk of that happening is rather small (but never zero). So the most important data to backup are the databases them self. Which the upgrade tool already does (if you enable the backup option).

Any other backups are a matter of preference. A server snapshot (if available to you) for example would be an easy solution in case you just want to restore the whole server. A regular Plesk backup (from the backup manager) is useful too and will allow to at least recover to a new server if needed. It's up to you to decide what best fits your needs.

When upgrading database servers there is always the risk that databases can get corrupted or the installation gets messed up. But I recon the risk of that happening is rather small (but never zero). So the most important data to backup are the databases them self. Which the upgrade tool already does (if you enable the backup option).

Any other backups are a matter of preference. A server snapshot (if available to you) for example would be an easy solution in case you just want to restore the whole server. A regular Plesk backup (from the backup manager) is useful too and will allow to at least recover to a new server if needed. It's up to you to decide what best fits your needs.

Thanks for info.

My fear is if the MariaDB installation goes wrong and I have to remove the current MariaDB and reinstall (and I don't even know how I could reinstall), because I have no way to do the backup snapshot, so if it goes wrong, how can I restore the previous MariaDB? Any folders that I can backup or clone to the server as MariaDB backup?

A MariaDB upgrade is a quite simple and straight-forward process. It's basically removing the old server software and installing the new one, then running the SQL upgrade to update the internal management tables of the database server to the latest version. There is very little that can go wrong when you follow the guide presented in https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...5-to-5-6-5-7-or-MariaDB-5-5-to-10-x-on-Linux- exactly.

Plesk support (https://support.plesk.com) can assist you to restore database directories from their file system copy or from dumps if you have such backups. If you feel insecure about the whole process, you could also order the upgrade from Plesk Professional Services. There, an experienced Plesk expert does the upgrade for you: Professional Services ("Administration service", bottom of the page).

I tried it and same error I had before, it looks like I'm destined to stay in this version and with this error forever.

Attachments

• mariadb.jpg
    mariadb.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 16
To me it looks like you have references to the MariaDB sources in another repository. This won't work. You can only have one repository to control where the sources for the installation comes from. In your screenshot I see "Systems". Did you check the contents of your yum repository files?

Last edited:
I have this issue some 2 or 3 times in some servers because somebody add new mariadb repo and not remove old one.

As @Peter Debik say, you may have 2 repositories mariadb 10.4 and mariadb10.5

The solution is easy ( in may case nothing was broken )
Make a backups of all and
Just check repos, delete maria 10.4 repo
Then remove mariadb-server without deps and install mariadb-server from correct repo

Always run at your own risk -> rpm -e --nodeps MARIADB-SERVER-VERSION-TO_REMOTE

Then install new one

Sometime the problem is with mariadb-server and sometime is with mariadb-common

A lot of problems caused because mariadb is runing but you cant write and make some things, one time we have a server in that state 1 week... and server works but some querys files.

So the problem is bad but not critical

I have this issue some 2 or 3 times in some servers because somebody add new mariadb repo and not remove old one.

As @Peter Debik say, you may have 2 repositories mariadb 10.4 and mariadb10.5

The solution is easy ( in may case nothing was broken )
Make a backups of all and
Just check repos, delete maria 10.4 repo
Then remove mariadb-server without deps and install mariadb-server from correct repo

Always run at your own risk -> rpm -e --nodeps MARIADB-SERVER-VERSION-TO_REMOTE

Then install new one

Sometime the problem is with mariadb-server and sometime is with mariadb-common

A lot of problems caused because mariadb is runing but you cant write and make some things, one time we have a server in that state 1 week... and server works but some querys files.

So the problem is bad but not critical

Thanks for help me.

I only have one repo that I know of, which is at /etc/yum.repos.d/MariaDB.repo, is there any more?

The command would then be?:

rpm -e --nodeps MARIADB-SERVER-10.4.32

or

rpm -e --nodeps MARIADB-SERVER

I run this command and get this info:

[root@ns340238 ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i maria
MariaDB-common-10.5.23-1.el8.x86_64
MariaDB-client-10.4.32-1.el8.x86_64
plesk-libmariadbclient-3.1-3.1.8-1centos.8.200603.1842.x86_64
MariaDB-backup-10.5.23-1.el8.x86_64
MariaDB-server-10.4.32-1.el8.x86_64
plesk-libmariadbclient-3.3-3.3.5-2.redhat.8+p18.0.59.0+t240111.0903.x86_64
MariaDB-shared-10.5.23-1.el8.x86_64

For this command I see MariaDB-client-10.4.32-1 and MariaDB-server-10.4.32-1.el8.x86_64, need remove two?

You only need to remove the server package.
rpm -e --nodeps `rpm -q --whatprovides mysql-server`

I strongly recommend to check the content of other yum repositories for duplicate entries. A repository can contain other software references than what its name suggests. I yum claims, there are duplicate definitions, then there are duplicate definitions.

I managed to solve the update problem today, the problem was in yum that was with the client and server blocked, I completed the update to 10.5 finally.

I think my previous manager locked the yum repository via command to prevent problems when he upgraded to 10.6 and had to go back to 10.4 to fix.

This command solve the problem: yum versionlock clear

Thanks for all your help!

Back