• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Update Rkhunter to 1.4.2

Desi Reyes

New Pleskian
Hi.
Newbie Plesk user. First installation of Plesk Onyx. Really impressed. Been using cPanel for over 15 years. Why did I find this earlier.
Question:
Build in RKHUNTER is old and it doesn't update. It fails at i18n as well.
How do I upgrade to latest and have all the definitions install as well?

I don't want to install RKHUNTER out of Plesk.
Any help on how to do this will be much appreciated.

Thank you for your input.
Yes, we have already corresponding report PPPM-2373 for rkhunter update in Plesk.
We will update it in one of nearest Plesk Onyx update.

It seems I did not get an update für rkhunter - it's still running at 1.3.4.

I'm running Version 17.5.3 Update #31 at ‪Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS‬

t seems I did not get an update für rkhunter - it's still running at 1.3.4.

I'm running Version 17.5.3 Update #31 at ‪Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS‬
Try to reinstall all updates with

# plesk installer --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --upgrade-installed-components

and check rkhunter version again:

# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/watchdog/rkhunter -V
Rootkit Hunter 1.4.4

According to Sourceforge (Rootkit Hunter - Browse Files at SourceForge.net) the current version of rkhunter is now 1.4.6

I run
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/modules/watchdog/rkhunter -V
and got
Rootkit Hunter 1.4.4

What is the recommended procedure to upgrade to the latest version of rkhunter?

------ Environment ----
Version Plesk Onyx v17.8.11_build1708180301.19 os_Debian 9.0
OS Debian 9.9

Since it was packaged by Plesk, I suggest waiting for an update.

I'm not aware at the moment if it was was already requested, but an update would indeed be in order. Rkhunter does not get released often, but this last release is from February, 2018 and from the release notes it looks like it would be a good improvement.

Since it was packaged by Plesk, I suggest waiting for an update.

I'm not aware at the moment if it was was already requested, but an update would indeed be in order. Rkhunter does not get released often, but this last release is from February, 2018 and from the release notes it looks like it would be a good improvement.

How can we trigger this? Any idea?

@Kurt Ludikovsky (and @Ales)

In general, there are two options :

a) install rkhunter separately and run it from the command line : this method will allow you to use the latest version of rkhunter

b) install rkhunter files in a separate map, make a backup of old Watchdog module files related to rkhunter and copy the new(er) files : this is rather elaborate work, but it can work in theory - in the past, this theory has been a proven concept, but I cannot recommend it (due to the unnessary complexity of the whole process and specific tweaks).

Instead, you should be aware that rkhunter is not your best defense for detection intrusions - use an IDS (intrusion detection system), like AIDE.

Just have a look at the possibilities, with the command : apt-cache search intrusion

In addition, consider chkrootkit or Lynis as an alternative to rkhunter : Lynis is sure to work better than rkhunter (and is less complex than AIDE).

In short, there are a lot of possibilities - but as always, even when chosing the best alternative, the solution is just as good as the config.

And that is the problem of rkhunter ...... it is a bit unreliable, when not having set up the right config (which is rather dependent per system environment).

I would really recommend that you

- use the rkhunter package, as shipped by default with Plesk,
- tweak the rkhunter config to fit exactly to your system environment - that is a challenge on it's own,
- add some other defense to your system - install chkrootkit, Lynis, AIDE or combination or all of them,

and keep every package in your system environment updated, every day and/or as soon as updates become available - this is the first line of defense!

Hope the above helps a (tiny) bit.

Regards.........

Back