• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question Update specific nameserver for all domains

Hangover2

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 11
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.61 #6
Hello,

we want to update one nameserver entry for all domains hosted on a Plesk server (it's a slave NS entry).

The zone records template will be updated accordingly for new domains created, but we do not want to apply it for all existing domains because some zones were manually changed and we are afraid, that maybe other entries get lost or overridden when enforcing a full sync.

What is the best way to exchange one old nameserver entry with a new on in the DNS for all existing domains?

Our plan was to execute the following command directly in the database:

SQL:
UPDATE `dns_recs` SET `val` = "my-new.nameserver.com", `displayVal` = "my-new.nameserver.com" WHERE `type` = "NS" AND `val` = "my-old.nameserver.com";

After this we would call /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/dnsmng --update domain-with-new-nameserver.com for all affected domains.

Is there a faster or better way to handle this use case or did we miss sth.? Thanks in advance for any answer.

I am always a bit hesitant to make any modification directly in the PSA database. Personally I'd probably use the REST API, which probably isn't faster than running a SQL query. But I assume you run a script to handle to updates for you anyway?

Back