• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Updating php to 5.2.5 on Suse or the influence from YOU on Plesk

E

earthling@

hi everyone,

like a few other people here I want to update my php version. I already have php5 but want to go from 5.1.2 to the newest 5.2.5. I'm running a openSUSE 10.1 with Plesk 8.3.

As I haven't found a way installing the new php version in Plesk (please tell me if there is a way) I want to do it with the Yast Online Update (YOU). Now I'm a little bit worried to break my Plesk installation. I have read about that Plesk has it's own php library installed, but would Plesk accept the new php version? Will it change any settings for example while the next Plesk update that can break my php installation?

Overall I want to know if an update of php has influence on Plesk and on the other hand will an update of Plesk influence the manually installed php version?

Another question is: can I create a switch for the php version a hosting uses like some hosting-companys do? That I can decide for each hosting if it runs on php 5.1.2 or on the new 5.2.5? That would be great 'cause I won't have to be afraid that one of the installed apps will not work with the new version.

Can somebody help me?

Steffen

Hi.

PHP cannot be upgraded by Plesk utilities, however feel free to upgrade it using YOU or manually by rpm package installation. Plesk comes with its own php binaries which are only used by Plesk CP (you cannot upgrade them), but the client's application are using the system PHP which can be easily upgraded. If upgrading from PHP5 to PHP5 but higher version you should not have any serious problems.
There is no way to have the switch between php 5.1.2 and php 5.2.5 because Apache will use the same mod_php5, it will not take the exact version into the consideration.

Back