• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Upgrade PLESK AND OS - Which one first?

Oliver Neumann

New Pleskian
Hi there,

I'm running PLESK 9.5.4 under OpenSUSE 11.1 - both should be updated (PLESK to 10.1 and OpenSUSE to 11.3).

How can I accomplish that without crashing my system? Should I update PLESK first (problem here: PLESK 10.1 does not support OpenSUSE 11.1 as far as I read) or should I first update OpenSUSE (problem here: PLES 9.5.4 does not support running under OpenSUSE 11.3).

Thanks for hints, tipps oder links in advance.

I would update your OS first - thats typically better supported and better tested. Once that has baked for a while, then you can tackle the CP - assuming you still need to. A lot of people wait for a few more releases before upgrading to the 10.x tree, and some people I know at large companies wont use it at all. So if you happen to fall into one of those categories later on, at lest your OS will not be vulnerable.

Should I update PLESK first (problem here: PLESK 10.1 does not support OpenSUSE 11.1 as far as I read) or should I first update OpenSUSE (problem here: PLES 9.5.4 does not support running under OpenSUSE 11.3).

Hello Oliver

Did you manage to solve this problem? I'm exactly in the same situation, a production Server with OpenSuse 11.1 (end-of-life since six months, though using at least the evergreen-repository) and Plesk 9.5.4.
Which approach did you finally take?

Greets
glenkinchie

unless you need 10.x Stick with the 9.5.4 and keep that updated - then you can update your OS as you see fit as Plesk 9 will still work on your updated OS.

Hey Amin

Thanks for your response! No, I have no need to switch to 10.x, I'm happy with 9.5.4. You sound quite confident that there's no problem in upgrading to OpenSuse to 11.1 while running Plesk 9.5.4, so I assume that you have successfully done this by your own? Or is there a source you could mention? I really want to go sure before I do it.

Regards

Well that is slightly unfortunate, according to this:
http://www.parallels.com/products/plesk/lifecycle

The 11.1 is not supported for any of the 9.x-10.1.x releases - so you would need to upgrade to a higher version than that anyways, and would then also need to move to one of the 10.3.x releases of Plesk.

if I read the documentation correctly 11.1 was EOL'ed by the vendor on January 14, 2011 - so you would be upgrading to something that isnt even supported by the vendor anymore, which means no security fixes, etc.

Ah sorry this was a typo, I meant OpenSuse 11.3. Currently I have 11.1 and 9.5.4. But according to your link even 11.3 isn't supported by 9.5.4. And 11.4 will be eol soon too :(
I guess I will switch to another distro with a longer support time. Centos seems to have long time support. May I ask you which distro you would recommend?

Thanks for your time!

Regards

If you plan on sticking with 9.5.4 for quite a while then I would recomend something like Centos 5 or maybe one of the newer versions of Fedora. If you wanted to go up to 10.x then you could stick with Suse or Centos 6 or even one of the bleeding edge versions of Fedora. The only problems with Fedora is that they get out of date real fast as new versions come out quite frequently. The RHEL (red hat) and its clones (cloud linux, centos, etc) are fairly stable and only come out with new versions a few times as needed.

Well as I plan to use 9.5.4 for another year I will probably take a look at the centos 5.x distro.
Thanks for your information!

Regards

JFYI, Fedora is not supported OS since Plesk 10.x version.

Back