• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Upgrade Problems

KlausZ

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS 7.9.2009
Plesk version and microupdate number
Hi,
tonight the server panel on a centos-server want to upgrade automatically. I got a error mail:

Plesk Installer 3.48.0 (revision 9ca31ed3b9c9) started at (timezone CET) Thu Jan 19 02:01:07 2023 Command line arguments: /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller upgrade plesk 18.0.49 --email [email protected]
Try to find rcfile...

Autoinstaller found rcfile at /root/.autoinstallerrc Update operation was locked by another update process.

I follow this article and kill the process: Unable to open the “Updates and Upgrades” page or start Plesk Installer in CLI: Update operation was locked by another update process - Support Cases from Plesk Knowledge Base

But after i make the manuel installation i got this error:

[2023-01-19 12:06:02.888238] The following packages from not selected components will be installed because they are required by other components' packages you selected for installation:
[2023-01-19 12:06:02.894983] Pakete werden installiert
[2023-01-19 12:06:02.898662] Bootstrapper has finished action (exec time: 0 sec.): parent_name='PLESK_18_0_49', sequence='prep', stage='execute', sequence_order='-2', operation='install', exec_cmd='touch /var/lock/plesk-report-update.flag; :'', m_arch='', exit code: 0, output: ~empty
[2023-01-19 12:06:02.903886] Bootstrapper has finished action (exec time: 0 sec.): parent_name='PLESK_18_0_49', sequence='prep', stage='execute', sequence_order='-1', operation='install', exec_cmd='touch /tmp/pp-bootstrapper-mode.flag; touch /var/lock/parallels-panel-maintenance-mode.flag; rm -f /var/lock/parallels-panel-upgrade-failure.flag; :'', m_arch='', exit code: 0, output: ~empty
[2023-01-19 12:06:03.000184] Another instance of bootstrapper is already running. Please wait until it finishes.
If you are completely sure there is no other instance running,
just remove /var/lock/parallels-panel-bootstrapper-running.lock file and retry.
Note: running more than one instance at once may badly damage your system.
Bootstrapper has finished action (exec time: 1 sec.): parent_name='panel', sequence='prep', stage='execute', sequence_order='0', operation='install', exec_cmd='/usr/local/psa/bootstrapper/pp18.0.49-bootstrapper/bootstrapper.sh prep-install BASE'', m_arch='', exit code: 1, output: ~empty
[2023-01-19 12:06:03.009279] Bootstrapper has finished action (exec time: 0 sec.): parent_name='PLESK_18_0_49', sequence='prep', stage='rollback', sequence_order='1', operation='install', exec_cmd='rm -f /tmp/pp-bootstrapper-mode.flag; rm -f /var/lock/parallels-panel-maintenance-mode.flag; rm -f /var/lock/parallels-panel-upgrade-failure.flag; :'', m_arch='', exit code: 0, output: ~empty

What can i do? I dont want to reboot the server?

The first warning message "Update operation was locked by another update process." already indicated that another update process is running so a second one won't start. That is perfectly fine. Normally, simply wait until the running processes completes.

Now as you followed the article that describes how to stop a running Plesk installer process, you may have stopped running Plesk installer processes, but this does not say that it stops all system update processes.

On a new attempt you again got the information "Another instance of bootstrapper is already running. Please wait until it finishes." probably the system is right that there is another unfinished process. You will need to find out what this is before you continue, because "If you are completely sure there is no other instance running, just remove /var/lock/parallels-panel-bootstrapper-running.lock file and retry. Note: running more than one instance at once may badly damage your system." And that is a valid warning. There is not much else you can do but to examine the processes in Linux if there are other update (yum) processes running and what these are doing or why they have not yet finished.

Hi,
thanks for the answer.
ps -aux | grep yum |grep -v grep = nothing
ps -aux | grep install |grep -v grep =nothing

How can i check if another bootstrap Process is running

I found in /var/lock/parallels-panel-bootstrapper-running.lock . The date is from 17/Nov/22. Thats was the last Update from plesk:

Plesk Obsidian
Version 18.0.48, zuletzt aktualisiert: 17. Nov. 2022 06:44:28

May be thats the problem, that this file is not deleted correctly? Can i delete it, or should i make a reboot?

Thanks a lot, Klaus

I do not want to advise deletion of the lock, because I am not looking at the server. There could be a million reason why there is something critical going on. Did the last update finish properly according to /var/log/plesk/install/autoinstaller3.log? If it was my own machine, I'd probably go ahead, delete the lock file and then run a yum update / upgrade, and I'd feel scared doing it anyway. If you are unsure about what to do, I can only recommend to let Plesk support look onto the system, because they can examine it right on your machine and are also standing by in case there are issues when you or they attempt the update again.

ok - i do a reboot. After that the file /var/lock/parallels-panel-bootstrapper-running.lock was deleted. I can make the update successfully.
Thanks a lot.
Klaus

Back