• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Upgrade to Ubuntu 18 LTS from 16 LTS

mr-wolf

Silver Pleskian
Plesk Guru
I have just rented a new server at Strato and it turns out they are not yet ready with their installation scripts for this newer LTS.
Never on a production server have I done a major upgrade in the past. I always preferred to setup a complete new server and move away the sites from the old to the new.

But now I'm tempted...
Plesk is also still running 17.5 without any sites setup yet.

I was thinking of doing the major upgrade first for Ubuntu and then get Plesk on 17.8

Another option is to install Debian 9 on that server and do a ""manual" Plesk installation using the license key I get from Strato. Of course I can also continue with Ubuntu 16

@IgorG what do you and others recommend?

Hmm... Ubuntu 18 LTS is not supported yet. But, of course, it's a matter of time.
In fact, personally, I do not trust the dist-upgrade procedure and prefer clean fresh OS installation for Plesk. After that, you can migrate your old Plesk to the new fresh server.

Hmm... Ubuntu 18 LTS is not supported yet. But, of course, it's a matter of time.
In fact, personally, I do not trust the dist-upgrade procedure and prefer clean fresh OS installation for Plesk. After that, you can migrate your old Plesk to the new fresh server.
I don't either, but it's merely a gut feeling. Because I never trusted it I don't have any experience with it either, so I was seeking some advice from some who have.
Maybe I should even stay with Ubuntu 16 LTS. 3 years left on that and they also would be the same as a few other servers.
All 3CX-servers I manage are Debian 9 on the other hand.
Pfffff.... choices, choices....

BTW... The Plesk installation is still fresh without any sites on.

Anyone else wants to chime in?

Back