• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

upgraded to 10.3 now 'Service Unavailable'

hypa

New Pleskian
Hi,

I upgraded from 10.2.0 to 10.3 using the upgrade option in plesk. It looked like the process completed successfully, however unfortunately now when i go to open plesk in the browser it says 'service unavailable'.

I have had a look in google and seen similar issues for previous plesk installations (ie. ISAPI filters), tried a couple of fixes, but still can't get it to work.

Here are some possible related issues:

Windows Server 2003

In iis6 > application pools > pleskcontrolpanel
State: 'stopped'

related event ids:

ERROR Event ID: 1002

Application pool 'PleskControlPanel' is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool.

WARNING Event ID: 1009

A process serving application pool 'PleskControlPanel' terminated unexpectedly. The process id was '3508'. The process exit code was '0xc0000005'.

Thank you in advance

i found these possible fixes in other forums (but not sure if exactly the same issue)

the 1st option entry seemed to already be in the registry and wasn't sure how to complete options 2 & 3 fully

OPTION 1

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic
es\W3SVC
3. Right-click Parameters, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4. Type UseSharedWPDesktop.
5. Set the value for this new key to 1.
6. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart IIS.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OPTION 2
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Open the server's local security policy (start>run>secpol.msc), expand local polices and browse to User Rights assignment. Once in User Rights Assignment, open up the “Log on as Service“ right. Any account or group in this list will be able to logon as a service. So, click Add User or Group, and then type in/browse for the app pool's service account. Once the right is granted, you will need to reboot this server.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OPTION 3
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Adding the App Pool identity to the IIS_WPG group may also fix problem as well as re-registering the .NET framework with Windows(see this microsft article to repair ,http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830646 )

i managed to try all 3 options above and it still doesn't work.

Running this on

Windows Server 2003 SP2

Plesk version / build:
10.3.0 Windows 2003/2008 20110630.16

Is that the beta / preview version? I didn't see that it was beta/preview in the plesk upgrade option?

Is there any support here at all?

I would really appreciate some help / advice / recommendations / links / sign of life....

Cheers

Last edited:
i feel like am talking to myself....

I found this link - not sure if it applies though (is my version a preview / beta?)

Parallels Plesk Panel 10.3 Preview – Bug Report
http://www.parallels.com/products/plesk10.3/beta/problemreport/

also this interesting one:

How to upgrade to Parallels Plesk Panel 10.3 on Windows.
http://kb.odin.com/en/111593

To successfully perform the full upgrade, you need firstly to download the latest version of the Installer from the official Parallels site and perform the upgrade procedure using it. Download the Installer from http://download1.parallels.com/Plesk/PP10/10.3.0/Windows/parallels_installer.exe.

sorry to say but wow this forum and support doesn't look too helpful

i have managed to fix it myself....after 1 week of sweating and stressing...

anyways if someone wants to know the fix then i charge $100 for email support $500 for webchat support or $1000 for phone support...

Last edited:
for all those who in same boat as i was...

after a week of stressing, trying various fixes, no support and workarounds that didn't work ....

My specifically particular issue was resolved by changing one little setting in the registry!!

i was able to access the 10.3 Control panel by changing PHP Handler Type in the registry from fastcgi to isapi

i used this as reference (but it's other way round to below):

[USE AT YOUR OWN RISK]

Switching PHP Handler Type to FastCGI

By default, in IIS Plesk Control Panel uses ISAPI to run PHP applications. You can also use CGI or FastCGI. For better performance it is recommended to switch the PHP handler type in IIS to FastCGI. The type of PHP handler is defined by the "PLESKCP_PHP_MODE" value of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PLESK\PSA Config\Config key of Windows registry (isapi, cgi, or fastcgi).

After that you need to run Plesk reconfigurator as below

http://medusa.ozservers.com.au/para...nistration-guide/index.htm?fileName=57835.htm

i dedicate this to all forum posters that ever helped me!

Donations Welcome - PM me :)

Last edited:
Hi there,
I too have this problem. It looks like Parallels didn't test 10.3 properly before releasing it as this is a fairly major bug! I tried what you mentioned Hypa and it started getting a little further IE the login screen came up and part of the main screen did too. Maybe it needs to be changed to ISAPI in some other place for the main Plesk panel? I have reported this as a bug to:
[email protected]

Attachments

• fastcgi.png
    fastcgi.png
    95.8 KB · Views: 14
  • registry.png
    registry.png
    123.4 KB · Views: 14
  • isapi-login.png
    isapi-login.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 13
  • isapi-loggedin.png
    isapi-loggedin.png
    129.5 KB · Views: 13
Guys, you shouldn't switch to ISAPI mode. This is not recommended.

http://au2.php.net/manual/en/migration53.windows.php
WARNING!
Support for the ISAPI module has been dropped. Use the improved FastCGI SAPI module instead.

So switching to ISAPI mode is deprecated starting from Plesk 10.3

Is there any official fix from Plesk for this if switching to ISAPI mode is deprecated as we also have the same issue since upgrading to Plesk 10.3 at the weekend on 2 of our servers so it appears to be a bug in 10.3. It will work for a little while however then will start giving service unavailable and we have to recycle the Plesk application pool.

Back