• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Upgrading PHP 4.3.9 to PHP 5.2.6 Plesk 9

M

mewsoft

Finally upgraded successfully Plesk 8.6 to Plesk 9.

How easy to upgrade PHP 4.3.9 to PHP 5.2.6 now on this Plesk 9? Will be any issues? how to do the upgrade safely?

The same question to upgrade mysql server from mysql 4 to latest mysql 5?

Please details as possible

Thank you all

What's your problem people at Plesk, is it always Big company means very bad service, what should we be very small or independent businesses, be resonable people and answer all topics here, you are not even answering topic about the very serious bugs, I'd think about starting a free project like Plesk and cPenal since I am on dead business almost.

There are a million threads on upgrading PHP and MySQL on these forums and it doesn't have a lot to do with Plesk. Plesk doesn't distribute PHP and MySQL, but uses whatever version of PHP and MySQL is installed on your system (so, usually whatever version is shipped by the distribution you're running). You can use third party repositories like ART to install newer versions of PHP and MySQL if you need those, but you'll lose your distribution support for these packages.

"There are a million threads on upgrading PHP and MySQL on these forums "

great, well I asked theplanet to do it as paid services and they said it is not safe and not guranteed and plesk will break, so what's the point if I upgrade php and loose plesk, should not be an easy way to switch like we can do with qmail/postfix, this what I meant, I need to be able to install php 5x, mysql 5 safely without doing fresh plesk install, can you tell me on one of these "millions threads" here that you said that will do this ( for a software developer not a server admin level of experiance)

Will upgrading from PHP4 to 5 really break Plesk 9?

I upgraded 5.1.6 to 5.2.6 under Plesk 9 beta and I didn't experience any issues. I've upgraded from 4 to 5 on Plesk 8.6 too without issue.

MySQL is an entirely different story, and past experiences tell me that it would be wise not to upgrade from 4 to 5 on a production server.

Well, some good and bad progress, I updated both php and mysql to the latest using yum as stated here:

http://www.atomicorp.com/wiki/index.php/PHP

for php, the only issue was the ioncube load and fixed by manually copying the file
ioncube_loader_lin_5.2.so and editing the file /etc/php.d/ioncube.ini to pint to ioncube_loader_lin_5.2.so file.

Now php updated to 5.2.6 seems working fine.

Mysql 5 also seems working fine.

Please admin can not start, here is the error:

ERROR: PleskFatalException
bad column in table: `backup_time` time NOT NULL default '00:00:00',

0: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/common_func.php3:108
psaerror(string 'bad column in table: `backup_time` time NOT NULL default '00:00:00',')
1: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/SQLParser.php:128
SQLParser->parseError(string ' `backup_time` time NOT NULL default '00:00:00',')
2: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/SQLParser.php:114
SQLParser->_parseLineInTable(string ' `backup_time` time NOT NULL default '00:00:00',')
3: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/SQLParser.php:45
SQLParser->parseLine(string ' `backup_time` time NOT NULL default '00:00:00',', integer '16')
4: :
array_walk(array, array)
5: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/SQLParser.php:16
SQLParser->getArray(array)
6: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/SQLParser.php:23
SQLParser->handleDatabase()
7: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/MySQL5FixBinaryColumns.php:24
MySQL5FixBinaryColumns::run()
8: /usr/local/psa/admin/auto_prepend/auth.php3:96

Any words on this, will digg more also...

Well, after diggin on the mysql website for the plesk error above ( http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysql-upgrade.html ) , I issued these commands from telnet and it fixed the plesk admin center which started normal:

# mysqlcheck --check-upgrade --all-databases --auto-repair -uadmin -pyouradminpassword

then issue this command:

# mysql_fix_privilege_tables

I got error because of the mysql connection needs the admin user username and password since this is the database user used by plesk, so I issued this command manually:

# cat /usr/share/mysql/mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql | /usr/bin/mysql --no-defaults --force --user=admin --password=youradminpassword --host=localhost --database=mysql

Now Plesk is working normal, mysql is working normal, php 5.2.6 is working normal, so everything updated and working.

Will update here if any issue ...

Thank you for the info. I had the exact same problem and errors after running 'yum update' and was able to correct it using your method.

Well, after diggin on the mysql website for the plesk error above ( http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysql-upgrade.html ) , I issued these commands from telnet and it fixed the plesk admin center which started normal:

# mysqlcheck --check-upgrade --all-databases --auto-repair -uadmin -pyouradminpassword

then issue this command:

# mysql_fix_privilege_tables

I got error because of the mysql connection needs the admin user username and password since this is the database user used by plesk, so I issued this command manually:

# cat /usr/share/mysql/mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql | /usr/bin/mysql --no-defaults --force --user=admin --password=youradminpassword --host=localhost --database=mysql

Now Plesk is working normal, mysql is working normal, php 5.2.6 is working normal, so everything updated and working.

Will update here if any issue ...

Thank you very much for this excellent post! This was exactly what I needed!

I have a site owner that is trying to get an approved secure site for an online store. Since my apache and php distros are not updated (namely because of plesk and its many issues) his site is failing the security scans. I have been preparing by reading the many forums about upgrading the third party software and the side affects to the plesk environment.

Thank you in advance for this post. The directions for upgrading php and mysql are very straight forward.

I do have two follow-up questions that if anyone can help with would be appreciated.

1. I've issued # updatedb, then #locate ioncube.ini, and visually verified that I don't have ioncube or it's libraries. Is this normal? I'm on a CentOS 5.3 x86_64 based EL5 based distro OS.

2. If I upgrade httpd (apache) at the same time will this have any adverse affects?

Thanks again for any thoughts and suggestions.

Cert'

Ok so the first thing you should know about PCI testing is that the methods that the QSA's are using are very very inaccurate if they do network based checking. It absolutely *will* indicate problems that dont exist on PHP, apache, ssh, bind, ssl, etc.

If you are running the latest updates from CentOS you are fine on all counts because RHEL/CentOS operate off of a back-porting of fixes model. In fact this will even be indicated on the PCI vulnerability report, if the QSA has not redacted the information from their vulnerability scanner (usually Nessus, which you can download from www.nessus.org).

So first go through the vulnerabilities indicated, and verify that you are running the latest revs of those packages from centos. Submitting that information to your QSA should be enough to certify those vulnerabilities are closed.

Back