• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Upgrading Spamassassin?

M

malphigian

I've spent the last hour searching and reading threads about upgrading spamassassin, and there seems to be about dozen different answers, none of them very detailed -- (like this one).

I'm running Plesk 7.5.4 on Fedora Core 2.

spamassassin -V shows my current version as 2.6.3. I would like to upgrade to the latest 3.1.4.

Many of the aforementioned threads send me to "atomicrocketturtle.com", a site which looks immensely helpful -- but I spent a long time wandering around and was unable to find a scrap of documentation anywhere. Just a forum and an archive of rpms. I did find a spamassassin rpm (for 3.1.3), but I'm pretty leery of just blindling installing without some docs.

Many of the threads also suggest using yum to upgrade. I don't have yum installed either. Do I need to install that too before I can upgrade spamassasin or can I just use rpm -i? If so, anyone have a pointer for the best way to do that with plesk?

I also see references to psa-spamassassin as a separate app from spamassassin, are there really two of them in the default plesk install?

In general, I'm pretty confused at this point. :confused:

My question:
Is there a step by step guide anywhere for upgrading spamassassin with plesk 7.5.4?

Presumably you're on a VPS if you dont have yum installed. That means among other things, you dont have any OS updates on the box, which is a really bad thing(tm). First, I'd contact your hoster about it, if they are evicerating the box so you can't maintain it, then they should be doing it for you. Make sure you let them know that, especially since you dont get to use the word "evicerate" every day.

I don't document manual installations for rpms, since you'll be playing dependency whack-a-mole for a few hours on something complex like Spamassassin, or PHP, and I don't have that kind of time. You can install it with rpm -i or -U, but again, complain to your hoster to install yum, or barring that, do it yourself. You will end up saving yourself a lot of time.

Thanks for the reply.

I am on VPS, and I'm not surprised that my web host is doing a poor job of things, they've been lousy since they guy bought by a bigger company a couple years back.

I'll try contacting them, but failing that I'll take a shot at getting Yum and it's dependencies in place, and then go for the SA upgrade.

try plesk>server>upgrader option

Hi malphigian,

I upgraded SpamAssassin from de upgrader option (button) in the server group in Plesk.

Back