• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Upload 2 GB database file - how to allow

wildnis

New Pleskian
We manually migrating a site onto my new cloud server which is running Plesk. it seems like that an upload limit does not allow us to upload a 2GB database file.

Can you help please?

What format is the database file in, plain sql or some compressed archive, such as zip or tar.gz?

How are you uploading the file, are you using FTP or SFTP or perhaps the Plesk interface..?

Basically, compress the file if it isn't already compressed and use FTP or SFTP.

An upload limit implies that you are trying to upload that large file through the GUI. This will not work. Even if you increase the upload file size limit you will hit the script runtime limit. Instead, please use an FTP client such as Filezilla to upload the file manually through FTP. This will always work.

After you have managed to upload it (e.g. by FTP) you might get into trouble importing it. Most likely the process will be interrupted, because it will exceed the maximum allowed script runtime. Instead, you will need to import the file step by step. For the process I can only recommend Ozerov's "BigDump" importer.
BigDump: Staggered MySQL Dump Importer
It imports n lines, then closes and restarts itself, imports the next n lines and so on until the whole file is processed. By this loop the script runtime always stays short, so that an import will succeed even on systems with little resources and tight limits.

Last edited:
Thank you Peter. Unfortunately, I can't get it done. I believe my knowledge is not large enough. I got a Ionos Cloudserver with Plesk. When I import I get this error:

Unable to import the hicker_db dump:
ERROR at line 3949116: Unknown command '\a'.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/psa/admin/sbin/dbbackup", line 6, in <module>
File "/opt/psa/lib/modules/python/dbbackup/dbbackup.py", line 99, in main
restore(options, password)
File "/opt/psa/lib/modules/python/dbbackup/dbbackup.py", line 88, in restore
raise Exception("program 'mysql' finished with non-zero exit code: %d" % p.returncode)
Exception: program 'mysql' finished with non-zero exit code: 1

I wonder if here is somebody I might be able to hire to help me importing this file? or helping me with your suggestion?

It is a old file. I wonder if the problem is that my server is running MariaDB? While Plesk is telling my MySQL? I think I need help here. I think I have to upload MySQL server instead of MariaDB

Last edited:
That ought to be the same. It is more of interest what exactly line 3949116 looks like. An "\a" is not a valid SQL command.

You can try something like
# sed -n '3949115,3949116p;3949117q' filename > newfile
to isolate the line.

Back