• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

URGENT: Plesk 7.5.2 Reloaded: Domain name is invalid

T

ttsang

Hi,

I am trying to add a domain through Plesk, because I am in the process of moving hosting to a dedicated box. HOWEVER, when I add a domain and enter "egovmonitor.com" I get the error message "Domain name is invalid"!!!

I have looked back through the forums to try and resolve my problem, with little luck apart from some postings regarding a HotFix in an earlier version of Plesk.

I dont know what the cause of the problem is BUT one thing I did do prior to (attempting) to add the domain was:

I was testing out Plesk with another domain name and got things set up as I wanted. At this point I though rather than recreating the same site under a new domain name, I would simply change the domain name (under "Edit the properties of domain administrator's account") to egovmonitor.com.

When I clicked OK, after a while Plesk returned an error which I (stupidly) did not write down.

Now I decided to simply create a new domain which then gives me the error message above.

Help! are these two problems related?

Any pointers will be gratefully received.

Trevor

When it failed to rename the test domain, it may have left some garbage in the psa database. You should search the psa database tables for any signs of the name 'egovmonitor'. It may also have messed up some of the domain id references as well which would be more difficult to fix, but not impossible. No easy walk through on that though.

Do you have a backup from just before this occurred? May want to restore to that point and try again.

Thanks for the response.

I will have a look through the psa db to see if I can find the offending records - A lot of tables!!

One (possible) good idea is that when someone does try and change domains names and Plesk throws up an error, there should be some sort of rollback facility. I assume that in the background somewhere Plesk is changing loads of setting for website1.com to website2.com (eg apache, named/bind, db permissions, directories, e.t.c), so when an error occurs Plesk just stops and the poor admin guy is left to go back and change the settings manually.

Just a thought

Just to let you know I have resolved the problem.

It turns out that there were a number of DNS records in the dns_recs table, which were probably leftover from when I tried to rename an existing domain through Plesk.

Once I deleted all the references, I could create the new domain.

Thanks for your help jamesyeeoc!

Trevor

Back