• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved use php 5.6 plesk 17.8.11

forumeasy

New Pleskian
Hello

here I install plesk on a debian server however I would like to put php 5.6 but plesk refuses to take it into account it does not take the case of version 7 how can I do to correct this?

thanks in advance

Hi Brujo

it depends on which OS version you have, see the Documentation and read carefully the notes: Installing PHP

There's conflicting articles in the KB and Docs regarding this.

Which PHP versions will be supported in Plesk 17.8 for Linux?

Answer
All the PHP versions supported in Plesk Onyx 17.5 are supported in Plesk Onyx 17.8.

This suggests everything should be available, however the article below makes reference to some OS versions not being available.

Installing PHP

In Ubuntu 18.04 LTS only 7+ is available both from private mirror and public repo.

Select the components you want to install:
1. [=] PHP 7.2
2. [=] PHP 7.1
3. [=] PHP 7.0
4. [=] PHP from OS vendor

Being a hosting provider, we need to be able to offer 5.x and seeing this is available in 17.5 I feel 17.8 should support it too. This is a massive issue for us.

Would prefer not to have to roll manual packages or swap everything to Cloudlinux ALT-PHP (too confusing for the end-user).

Cheers.

Note that security support of PHP 5.6 will end on 31 Dec 2018 (in 3 months). PHP: Supported Versions
So, now it is time for everyone to migrate their applications to PHP 7.2.

Hello, i need a solution to run PHP 5.6 on the latest Plesk version with debian 9.x. Can someone send me the solution, how i can install it and use it in plesk manually?

thank you very much,
Jan

By default, Debian 9 and Ubuntu 18 support only those versions of PHP that support OpenSSL 1.1, and that are PHP 7.x and newer.
As Debian 9 and Ubuntu do not support such configuration out of the box, it is not possible to install PHP 5.x via Plesk Installer.

It is crazy to suggest that php 5.6 requirements will go away over night from our customers. 14.04 goes does at the end of the month.. There is no point bouncing people to 16.04 for a few years so 18.04 is the way forward.

for anyone fed up with this you can add php 5.6 fpm support to ubuntu 18.04 with

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/php
apt-get install php5.6
apt-get install php5.6-igbinary php5.6-mbstring php5.6-mcrypt php5.6-soap php5.6-redis php5.6-intl php5.6-mcrypt php5.6-mysqli php5.6-xml
apt-get install php5.6-fpm
 apt-get install php5.6-cgi
 sudo update-alternatives --config php

/usr/local/psa/bin/php_handler --add -displayname fpm-56 -path /usr/bin/php-cgi5.6 -phpini /etc/php/5.6/fpm/php.ini  -type fpm -clipath /usr/bin/php5.6 -poold /etc/php/5.6/fpm/pool.d     -service php5.6-fpm

I wouldn't say "crazy" - Active support has been dead for years.

Think you need to be more into pushing customers to upgrade to PHP 7; push it as a performance enhancement instead of supporting a possible security issue.

What's the reason for needing PHP 5 still?

Last edited:
the fact that 70% of all php sites are running 5.x would suggest that hosts need to provide this for some time to come. In our case a lot of clients are in the process of moving to Magento 2 and budgets are focused on this rather than combing through extension code trying to make this compatible with php 7x

I'll agree with you on the 70% figure, although it is closer to 60% now I believe.

I'm not really buying the "moving to m2" excuse though - M1 works on PHP 7, and most developers would have already updated their modules for PHP 7. The time investment to handle the odd module that may not work is worth it for simply the performance gain alone.

I mean, take a look at it this way - PHP 7 was released in December 2015. There's been plenty of time to plan this.

I'd give you a bonus point for running 7.1.25, but i'd have to then subtract said point for having the exposed PHP info page.

It is crazy to suggest that php 5.6 requirements will go away over night from our customers. 14.04 goes does at the end of the month.. There is no point bouncing people to 16.04 for a few years so 18.04 is the way forward.

for anyone fed up with this you can add php 5.6 fpm support to ubuntu 18.04 with

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/php
apt-get install php5.6
apt-get install php5.6-igbinary php5.6-mbstring php5.6-mcrypt php5.6-soap php5.6-redis php5.6-intl php5.6-mcrypt php5.6-mysqli php5.6-xml
apt-get install php5.6-fpm
apt-get install php5.6-cgi
sudo update-alternatives --config php

/usr/local/psa/bin/php_handler --add -displayname fpm-56 -path /usr/bin/php-cgi5.6 -phpini /etc/php/5.6/fpm/php.ini  -type fpm -clipath /usr/bin/php5.6 -poold /etc/php/5.6/fpm/pool.d     -service php5.6-fpm

Thank you, worked well.

Back