• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Use subdomain for testing/staging area

D

DealOnline

Very new to Plesk 10.2 and have received some training from a knowledgeable source on setting up multiple domains.

Now what I am trying to do is create a testing/staging area on a subdomain (test.example.com) from my main domain/live site (example.com) so I can test and then update my live site.

I have pointed my DNS for subdomain to server hosting all sites. Went into power user mode and created subdomain which allowed my to place my files at var/www/vhosts/example.com/test (folder - css,img,index.html) and in subdomains area at var/www/vhosts/example.com/subdomains/test (folder - cgi-bin, conf, error docs) - typed my url into browser and saw VPS webfusion html page, so thinking this is going good so far.

Next step, I copied the files from my live site var/www/vhosts/example.com/httpdocs to my subdomain at var/www/vhosts/example.com/test

Next step, copied database of live site into new test database. Navigated into my var/www/vhosts/example.com/test where files are and found my local.xml file and updated database information to connect test database to subdomain test folder files. Also went into my test database and updated the core-config table my base-url and secure-url to my new subdomain, test.example.com

According to all instructions this should work. So I went to my browser and typed in my subdomain test.example.com and instead of viewing my subdomain I get pushed to my live site, also when I try to view my admin area for subdomain (am running magento stores) test.example.com/administrator I get pushed to live site url too.

Have I missed steps? Is there some preparation I needed to do with Plesk before creating subdomain and copying files?

Any help would be appreciated. Working with magento based stores and running them from Plesk Panel 10.2.

If you subdomain works without files from livesite, that it is not a plesk issue.
So, i think there is redirect, caused by you CMS.
May be there is another *-url records in db or lines in config file?

Back