• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

User permissions to files

A

anekro

Hi, i'm a new spanish Plesk user and i have a question.

When i upload any web from my old hosting, usually Joomla websites; i have to change file permissions manually, and when i install any extension, it fails.

How can I setup every domain for every user can upload and change permissions without problems? I read something about Apache's processes owners, but i have no idea.

Thank You for Your Attemption

Check in my HOW TO (in signature) the mod_suphp section, this will solve your issues

You can use php as cgi or fcgi to solve the problem for the user as well just by setting it in website settings in plesk panel.

Navigate to the domain in Plesk > Web Hosting Settings > PHP Support and there you can select Apache module (mod_php), FastCGI or CGI from the dropdown menu.

You could also upload the extension via FTP (as the domain user) instead of installing it via Joomla (running as the 'apache' user when using mod_php) if you prefer using mod_php, so the extension files will be owned by the FTP user instead of 'apache'. (Performance of mod_php is better than when using CGI or FastCGI.)

Last edited:
Thank you.

It worked perfectlly :)

Can I do this for existing domains? Or just for new ones?

Yes, you can do this for any domain new or existing at any time - you can change them back and forth as much as you want, just remember that it takes an apache restart to take effect so it coule be several minutes before the new settings take effect when plesk auto restarts httpd.

Done. It worked perfectlly.Thank you very much.

Another question.
Before i'd done this, i had somes files Apache's owner and I can't delete it now. Is this possible?

Only apache or root will probably have permissions to delete those files, so you'll have to make sure the delete commands are executed as either one of those user.

You could for instance log in via SSH and remove the files that way as either root or apache. Or you could create a little PHP script which deletes those files and switch back to mod_php temporarily before running it (so the code will be executed as user 'apache' which also wrote those files). There are probably lots of other options.

Back