• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs User PHP customisations being overwritten by service plan changes

Rob Taylor

Basic Pleskian
TITLE:
User PHP customisations being overwritten by service plan changes
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE:
Version: Plesk Onyx v17.5.3_build1705170317.16 os_CentOS 7
PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
I am running the latest version of Plesk Onyx with all updates on 2 servers, one that is currently live and one that is about to go into production.

I very recently made a minor change to one of the services plans and then got reports from customers that their PHP customisations had been removed.

Upon investigation that was the case, all subscriptions on that plan had their PHP settings reverted back to the defaults.

I have replicated this on our new server and unless I am misunderstanding how the service plan / subscription system works there does indeed seem to be a significant bug with it.​
STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
Here is how to replicate:

- Go to 'Service Plans'
- Click 'Add a Plan'
- Name 'Test'
- Accept all other defaults
- Click 'OK'
- Go to 'Domains'
- Click 'Add Domain'
- Enter the domain name as 'example.com' or some other test domain
- Enter a username of 'test' and 'generate' a random password
- Leave all other settings as default
- Go to 'Subscriptions'
- Locate the test domain and tick the box
- Click 'Change Plan'
- Select the 'Test' service plan and apply
- Go to 'Domains', locate the domain name and click in it to view settings
- Click on 'PHP Settings'
- Scroll to the bottom and enter the following under 'Additional configuration directives':
default_charset = ""
- Set 'short_open_tag' to 'on'
- Click 'OK'
- Go to 'Service Plans'
- Click on the 'Test' plan
- Set 'Notify when disk space usage reaches' to a different figure (not an unreasonable change)
- Click 'Update and Sync'
- Go to 'Domains'
- Locate the test domain name and click on it
- Click on 'PHP Settings'
- Scroll to the bottom and all PHP customisations have been overwritten :-(​
ACTUAL RESULT:
All domains subscribed to the service plan have their PHP settings set back to the defaults for that PHP version.​
EXPECTED RESULT:
Expected the individual domain PHP settings to be left unmodified if they have been altered from the default.​
ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Looking for this to be confirmed as a bug and fixed or help understanding how individual accounts can have personalised PHP configurations that won't be overwritten.

Any help would be much appreciated.
YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM:
Confirm bug

if you want to make the changes permanent create a php.ini file with the custom settings you want and place it in /var/www/vhosts/system/domain.tld/etc/ and plesk seems to always honor that. But I agree any custom php settings you save in php settings page should survive php version change.

Thanks for you reply Burnley, if I was changing the PHP version I could kind of understand the logic in reseting back to the defaults for that version, obviously the config parameters change with versions.

In this case I am making a minor change to the service plan resources and it is overwriting any subscription specific PHP customisations, the PHP settings page itself says:

"Here you can specify per-subscription PHP settings that override the settings defined by the server-wide php.ini file"

So overwriting them if you change the service plan undermines both the purpose of using service plans and the per subscription PHP settings page.

In the end this has cost me hours of time recovering configurations and explaining the issue to customers, looking back through my activity notes this has happened before with our live server but at the time I didn't realise what had happened - I had high hopes with this new version of Plesk but I am starting to feel that I have just replaced one set of issues for another :-(

Thank you for report. It was confirmed and submitted as PPPM-7598
And note, that this issue is completely fixed in Plesk Onyx 17.8.8

Back