• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Verify Certificate error

LeighWhiting

New Pleskian
Hi All

When i user my Plesk URL as the incomming & Outgoing mail server, everything works fine but when i use mail.domain.co.uk [domain being my domain name] it receive an Internet Security Warning - The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that cannon be verified... The target principal name is incorrect.

when i also look at the mail boxes within plesk, i click on the 'i' and then select Microsoft Outlook, Gmail or Thunderbird i see the below Note in blue

Note: You may see the "Untrusted certificate" error when you access your mailbox. It happens if the SSL/TLS certificate of the mail server or domain is self-signed or assigned to another domain. If so, make sure that the domain name of the mail server is valid.

Is it standard practice to just use plesks url as the incomming & outgoing mail server or is it possible to have resolve the Untrusted Certificate when using mail.domain.co.uk ??

I look forward to hearing from you

Kind Regards
Leigh Whitling

By default you only have one mail server serving all domains on the same system. That mail server is addressed by the host name of your system. When you create the host's SSL certificate, this certificate can protect the mail server, but it only knows the host name, not your domain name. You can address the mail server through your domain name, because it resolves to the same ip address, but as the certificate does not include your domain name you see the security warning.

Solution: Starting with Plesk Obsidian you can optionally use SNI to create a separate mail server certificate for your email domain (your own, individual domain). This can be done from the SSL-it! extension of the subscription (that is the yellow padlock icon named "SSL/TLS" on the Websites & Domains tab). When you opt in to secure your mail domain (use SNI) then the certificate will automatically installed in your mail server, too. Manyually, the installed certificate for your individual mail server setting can be selected from the mail settings icon in your subscription. Once set you can also address your mail server through your domain name with an encrypted connection and the error message will disappear.

Hey,
I got the same problem after I tried to migrate my stuff over to a new plesk server.
I got domain1.xy for the hostname and mail server and domain2.yx and domain3.yx for the website and mail.
Prior to the migration I've got the same setup, but something doesn't work.

I didnt find the SNI option. I also migrated from 18.0.58 to 18.0.59 so not a major version change.
I tried https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...ect-certificate-used-for-mail-client-in-Plesk
its basically working if I select the domain2.yx as the mail server certificate but then domain3.yx is still having problems.
Any information that can help further?

Back