• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Version 18.0.52 and MariaDB 10.11

Gene Steinberg

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8.7
Plesk version and microupdate number
So this version evidently supports what is regarded as the current stable version of MariaDB, 10.11.

Are there any downsides in updating WordPress and XenForo forums to the new database release?

What's the best way to install it on a system using AlmaLinux 8.7? I used your instructions to get from MariaDB 10.3 to 10.6. Same instructions with different version numbers? What?

I don't use XenForo but I haven't had any issues with WordPress. As long as you kept those apps up to date you really shouldn't have any issues. I do recommend that you make make sure you have backups and if you're running on a VPS to take a snapshot before doing the upgrade so you can roll back if anything happens. Just remember to follow all the steps including the command for updating the databases after starting back up the sql server service.

Our AlmaLinux 8.7 setup choked on the step to where the changed version number was called for.

Must I assume that 10.11 isn't available from the usual sources that support that OS?

If you were following the steps, step 6.1is for
Bash:
curl -LsS https://r.mariadb.com/downloads/mariadb_repo_setup | sudo bash -s -- --mariadb-server-version=10.5
I just do
Bash:
curl -LsS https://r.mariadb.com/downloads/mariadb_repo_setup | sudo bash -s -- --mariadb-server-version=10.11
Instead, this will install the mariadb repo. It does take a bit but shouldn't take too too long. The whole upgrade process took me about 15 minutes all together.

This is why I said I said to follow the instructions for Plesk on CentOS 7 / RHEL 7 since, in reality, that's the most closest match for AlmaLinux (I use AlmaLinux 8.7 as well and those are the steps I followed)
I just followed this guide via the manual method for "Plesk on CentOS 7/RHEL 7":
If you followed what I suggested instead of following the CentOS 8 (which the steps is nowhere near the same nor correct) you wouldn't had the issue.

It wasn't clear that I should use that version for AlmaLinux 8.7.

Yes, it was easier and we're good I think. So far the various WP, XenForo and DadaMail databases seem to work OK with MariaDB 11.0.1.

Thank you.

Back