• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Very big update ... confused

Pleskie

Regular Pleskian
I'm quite a newbee when it comes to server management. My VPS runs on CentOs 7.

For like a year I have been succesfully updating my server using yum. There were not that many updates. Maybe a couple each 2 months. I simply executed every update without any problems.

However, all of sudden since a few days there are like 170 new updates. Well ... actually there were 190. I just updated them all, thinking this would be the right thing to do to keep my server up to date ... but I was wrong. After the update my website as well as plesk panel were no longer available. All I got was a white screen. :-(

Luckily I was able to restore a back-up so no problems. However, it's a few days later now and I don't know what to do. When I check it right now, there are still around 170 updates available. So that's 20 less than the 190 updates. I think that is because of Plesk executed some updates.

Anyhow ... I still have 170 updates waiting. What should I do? How do I know what to install and what not? If someone could explain this I would be very thankful.

The manual says I need to go to: Tools & Settings > the Server Management section > System Updates

Why don't I see 'System Updates'?

I do see 'Server Management' but no 'System Updates'. What am I missing here?

(Using Plesk version 12.5.30)

That explains ... I'm using version 12.5.30. What should I do now?

The Plesk home panel says I can Upgrade to Plesk Onyx 17.0.17

Should I do that?

UPDATE:

I updated to Onyx 17.017. Everything seems fine, but when I go to System Updates it says:

Error: The System Updates tool is already installing updates in automatic mode. Please try later.

However, nothing seems to be updating ... any ideas what's going on?

Wait a day. This is a security mechanism when updates are in progress that users don't start a concurrent second installation. Tomorrow morning this message should be gone.

Update:

Message is gone now! Updates appeared :)

Can I just update everything? There are 172 updates ...

Thanks ... do i really have to wait a whole day?? Does it take that long? :eek:

No, I think the window is 10 minutes. But after the nightly maintenance window some other aspects might change. I cannot tell you whether you can or should rund the update on the 172 files in question. This is at your own risk.

Thanks ... but if it is Plesk that performs the updates ... doesn't this normally mean everything should be fine? Or isn't there any difference between updating in Plesk and updating manually using yum?

In the "System Upates" configuration you can define that Plesk should auto-update the system files. I am not sure if this is best practice, because if the function fails at night, your server might go offline and you won't know until next morning ... and will have a "great" new day ...

I think that there is a difference between yum and the Plesk System Updater in terms of repositories that are being used, but not perfectly sure about it. Too little experience here with this function.

Back