• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Very Weird DNS Issue

J

JimmyRose

Hey guys

I'm having a really weird and worrying problem with my Plesk DNS. Once a day, one domain and incoming mail just stops working. This is only one domain out of three we are hosting. Outgoing email is still fine, but incoming email instantly bounces, with this response:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

***@***.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
DNS Error: DNS server returned answer with no data

This was driving me nuts for a while, but I eventually worked out that if I go to Services Management and restart the Plesk Name Server, everything comes good again... for a day.

I've had a look in the Event Viewer and there isn't anything of note there. There is this (from plesksrv) every few days:

Unhandled exception
C0000005
Execute file name:

But it doesn't coincide with the crashes. The last one was about 2 days ago and we've had two crashes since then.

Any ideas at all?

Cheers

Sounds like you're using BIND for DNS, try switching to Windows DNS. You will have to install Windows DNS first from add/remove programs or from server roles. This depends on your version of Windows. Once Windows DNS is installed you can switch the DNS service from BIND to Windows DNS from Plesk. I believe its in the Server Component option. I tend to see less issues on servers running Windows DNS.

Brolip, I ended up upgrading to the newest version of BIND and havent had any issues since the original post. It's about the only thing I've ever done with plesk that was completely painless. Follow this article:

http://kb.parallels.com/5542

It's as simple as making a backup of the old BIND directory, stopping the service, copying the new files over the top and starting the service again.

Switching to Windows DNS was my backup plan but never needed it

Back