• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

vhost setup

maclonghorn

New Pleskian
I'm trying to create a subdomain that points to the primary domain so that the subdomain is essentially an alias for www. So then these two are the same:

www.mydomain.com
test.mydomain.com

I think I would create a vhost file in the conf dir of my primary domain dir but I'm not sure. I tried this already and it worked for awhile, but then I started getting errors when Apache would try to restart, and thus would not start at all.

What is the format/requirements for a vhost file? I basically copied the httpd.include file to vhost file and changed the ServerAlias directive.

1. Can I setup the domains in this way?
2. How would I do this? (I don't want to create a subdomain in Plesk b/c that would be different code)

Thanks.

what don't you insert only the ServerAlias directive in the subdomain - > test -> conf/ vhost.conf
and run :

PLESK_PRODUCT_ROOT_DIR/admin/bin/websrvmng -v -a
or
PLESK_PRODUCT_ROOT_DIR/admin/sbin/websrvmng -u -vhost-name=test

then
/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

I was told it runs well ! ....

(for me, PLESK_PRODUCT_ROOT_DIR = /usr/local/psa )

maclonghorn: it would be much more simple, if you'd use domain aliases feature which was introduced around 8.0. Then, you don't need to create subdomain or any acrobatics with vhost.conf files.

ib1984:
i believe the domain alias is for a 2nd level domain, for example, for mydomain.com, it would create an alias of mydomainalias.com. Correct?

Back