• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Virtual IP redirect traffic to main ip?

safemoon

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

Is there any way I can create a virtual public IP that will work as a "middleman" and redirect traffic to the main server?

Scenario:
The virtual public IP is 192.5.5.2 and the plesk server's ip is 89.23.24.1
I want to point the domain to the virtual public ip 192.5.5.2 and somehow i connect it with the plesk server (89.23.24.1)... so in case the server fails i change the configuration and i set it up with another plesk server and there will be NO need to point the domain to a different IP address since the virtual ip will just redirect the traffic to the new server

Many hosting providers do offer a "failover" IP service for such scenario that can do such.
If you want to do such on your own you probably need a small VM with that 1st IP that will be in the DNS that then does route the traffic to the Plesk server, as an example with OpenWRT

Many hosting providers do offer a "failover" IP service for such scenario that can do such.
If you want to do such on your own you probably need a small VM with that 1st IP that will be in the DNS that then does route the traffic to the Plesk server, as an example with OpenWRT
thanks for the reply.

How do i get a VM and how do i set it up? what should i google for?
thanks again

A VM you can get anywhere you want to.

For openWRT you can find the documentation here: Documentation
I personally use it on my dedicated server that I virtualized to forward the trafic from IP x Port x to IP y Port y
As example:
1646742065634.png

Maybe try to google for something like "create failover switch"

Back