• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Virtual Private Networking not found

ismail el moussati

Basic Pleskian
Hi all,

i am running Plesk Plesk Obsidian 18.0.25 trying to configure the vpn but i couldn't find the Virtual Private Networking options, i tried to install it. eventhough nothing.

Any suggestions ?

Yours,

Plesk VPN was a component that allowed setting up an OpenVPN service on a server. However, due to consistently low installation numbers and significant resources needed to update it for compatibility with Plesk Obsidian it has been decided to stop its development

I'm in the same boat here, looking for the extension and disappointed to understand it's been discontinued.

What method is recommended for installing OpenVPN to co-exist nicely with Plesk?

Hi Igor,

It appears that what is mentioned in the KB article is that since the extension has been discontinued is to install OpenVPN via their instructions, which are far from simple to understand and quite outdated. Most of the commands they mention in their instructions don't even exist in the latest version of the CLI.

I did eventually succeed at installing it, although I really wish there would've been the simplicity of the Plesk VPN extension instead. I also worry that it installs or modifies networking components in ways that could possibly make my server less secure than if it was integrated within Plesk.

@Sysop, I understand your concern and interest. But this extension was dropped due to, among other things, negligible demand for it. From a business standpoint, it is highly irrational to continue to support such an unclaimed extension.
Alternatively, anyone can write and promote their own solution (extension) using our instructions: Plesk Extensions in a Nutshell

@IgorG, Have you considered releasing the source code for the last available version of the VPN extension to the community? It would probably be of value for the fact that it’s already been created and could likely be updated by whoever might want to use it. Please let me know if that would be possible, thanks!

Have you considered releasing the source code for the last available version of the VPN extension to the community? It would probably be of value for the fact that it’s already been created and could likely be updated by whoever might want to use it. Please let me know if that would be possible, thanks!
As per our policy, we do not provide the source code of our products.

It’s somewhat disappointing Plesk won’t even consider open sourcing a simple extension when much of your product actually relies on open source code. It’s just an extension. What good does it do locking it away never to be seen again? None. Nobody learns anything and progress moves backward.

Anyway, thanks for nothing.

What was "the low installation numbers" :) ?
Maybe it would have been a good idea then to sell it as a paid extension instead of discontinuing it, I am sure those few that made this low number of users would have paid for it. Instead, they upgraded their product to Obsidian to get more features and security on one hand but lost another important feature ( for them) on the other hand. Odd decision I would say, to suddenly discontinue it.

Back