• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Want to use Plesk for outbound SMTP, but how do I stop 'Sent' emails from piling up in account folders?

HammyHavoc

New Pleskian
Hi all,

After the rugpull with G Suite Legacy, I'm looking to move my family email domain to the same Plesk server that handles our website.

The idea being that free Gmail accounts will pull this email in via POP3 via the External Accounts feature on Gmail, thus deleting the Plesk server copy in the process.

However, whilst this means that email doesn't pile up in the inbox of users, does SMTP use mean that their 'Sent' folders are ever-growing? We've not got a ton of storage left on the server (paltry SSD on the lowest tier hosting plan), so ideally I'd want to figure out a way to not save these sent emails on the account.

Does anybody know of a way to configure it in this manner?

There won't be any SMTP connection from gmail to you Plesk server for sending email. If you send emails via gmail then Google handles the sending. Regardless whether you've added an external email account to your gmail account which pulls in email via POP3.

There won't be any SMTP connection from gmail to you Plesk server for sending email. If you send emails via gmail then Google handles the sending. Regardless whether you've added an external email account to your gmail account which pulls in email via POP3.
Are you absolutely sure about that? Send emails from a different address or alias - Gmail Help

If there's no connection, why do we enter our SMTP credentials when using External Accounts with 'Send mail as' on Gmail?

You're right, gmail does require SMTP credentials and uses the Plesk server to send the actual email. Sorry about that.

Just tested this. The send email message does not show up in the "send" folder of the local email account of my Plesk server.

Back