• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Watchdog 2.03 Doesn't Start After Server Reboot

T

TravisPM

SETUP:

CentOS 6.3, 64 bit.
Plesk 11.09, Update #10.

I enabled Watchdog in Plesk.

It works fine.

However, it doesn't start up by itself after a server reboot.

I can start it manually with the following command:

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/modules/watchdog/wd --start
(which I have done by adding it to /etc/rc.local)

Shouldn't Plesk do this automatically?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes and it starts fine.

But it doesn't start automatically when the server is rebooted AFTER enabling it.

When you enable WD in Plesk interface following lines should be added to /etc/inittab:

wdc:2345:respawn:/usr/local/psa/libexec/modules/watchdog/init/wdcollect /usr/local/psa/etc/modules/watchdog/wdcollect.inc.php
mon:2345:respawn:/usr/local/psa/libexec/modules/watchdog/init/monit /usr/local/psa/etc/modules/watchdog/monitrc

Check it.

No, that wasn't added.

I added those lines to /etc/inittab manually but it still didn't start WatchDog after rebooting.

I am running the Atomic Secured Linux kernel and I'm checking with them to see if that kernel is interfering with adding entries to /etc/inittab and starting services from /etc/inittab

Same Problem

I have the same issue, is there any solution to this?

I'm on
CentOS 6.3 (Final)
Panel version 11.0.9 Update #15

is this what you want? >>

---------------------------------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, MICROUPDATE, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Parallels Plesk Panel 11.0.9 Update #15 CentOS 6.3 (Final) (64-bit)

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

After reboot Watchdog 2.0.3 is disabled.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

Enable Watchdog in Plesk. Reboot.

ACTUAL RESULT

Watchdog Disabled

EXPECTED RESULT

Watchdog Enabled.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
--------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for report. I have forwarded it to developers. Let's wait their answer.

It seems that this problem only occur on CentOS6 machines!
I've the same problem with CentOS 6.4 and Plesk 11.0.9 (with all MU, actual Update #48)

Is there a solution right now?

Watchdog 2.0.7 on Centos 6 - even more problems

Centos 6 does not use /etc/inittab, the scripts are in /etc/init/. But they do not work for me. Neither stop, nor start.
I cannot shutdown my machine - last message in console is init: psa-monit main process ended, respawning and it comes every 5 minutes or so.

The service does not start correctly too, or at least Panel does not see it enabled although I can see it running:
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/modules/watchdog/monit -Ic /usr/local/psa/etc/modules/watchdog/monitrc
Actually only the monit, not the collecting part - graphs do not show anything.

Not only does not it start correctly, it even does something wrong with the nginx and httpd processes. It looks like it starts some wrong instance of apache, which does not see all the virtual hosts, and than Nginx fails to start with the following message:

Starting sshd: [ OK ]
Starting xinetd: [ OK ]
Starting ntpd: [ OK ]
Starting spamd:
Starting nginx: nginx: [emerg] bind() to [2001:8d8:8ae:e500::ae:4abd]:80 failed (99: Cannot assign requested address)
[FAILED]
Starting psa... Starting sw-engine-fpm: [ OK ]

Please see, that httpd is not among started services (I can see it there when I uninstall WD).

I have workarounds to solve shutdown and startup problems, but they make 11.5.3 unfit for a production use:

Restart:
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/modules/watchdog/wdservice monit stop /usr/local/psa/etc/modules/watchdog/monitrc
shutdown -r now

After start:
/etc/init.d/nginx restart
/etc/init.d/httpd restart
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/modules/watchdog/wdservice monit start /usr/local/psa/etc/modules/watchdog/monitrc
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/modules/watchdog/wdservice wdcollect start /usr/local/psa/etc/modules/watchdog/monitrc

My research and workaround:

http://brablc.com/2013/09/21/plesk-watchdog-nginx-shutdown-problem/

Last edited:
IgorG, any news? We have the same problem (Watchdog 2.0.7 doesn't start automatically after a server reboot) on CentOS 6.5 with Plesk 11.5.30 (MU 29).

IgorG, any news? We have the same problem (Watchdog 2.0.7 doesn't start automatically after a server reboot) on CentOS 6.5 with Plesk 11.5.30 (MU 29).

I can confirm this, it does not start and nginx has conflicts on start again.

Any logs, steps to reproduce, error messages, results of investigation and troubleshooting?

Any logs, steps to reproduce, error messages, results of investigation and troubleshooting?

I can reproduce this simply by restarting the machine. WatchDog will not be running and nginx will not be able to bind to port 80. I have a machine where I can try it and collect logs, just tell me which logs would help you.

Back