1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Watchdog Failed to Connect to Database

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by menthol, Jan 1, 2007.

1. menthol

menthol Guest

I have resisted posting this because the Watchdog error that I am getting is rather obvious:

db_connect: failed to connect to database: Error: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

With so many people having problems with 8.1 full installs or upgrades, I felt rather lucky that this is the only problem I have encountered and have left it to the updater to hopefully produce a fix.

After the last two Plesk updates this error is still being reported every night and my research has come to the conclusion that this is a password hash length problem with MySQL.

I remember having to fix my passwords manually (for other MySQL applications) when I upgraded MySQL on my own quite a few months back before Plesk supported MySQL 5 but now I do not wish to fool around with Plesk 8.1 as I fear I may create more problems.