• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

We Are Hacked Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use XEN !

Use xen-source.com !

Im have been using the Open Source version and I can say Im very happy. Performance is the same !

Regards
Joao Correia

We recommend Open VZ

Xen is fine I agree, but I prefer Open VZ by SWSoft. At this time I'm evaluating Link 4 from Spry Cameron Jones VPSLink and this VPS rocks and runs in ultra high speed without only one problem. There is a special environment based in a monster server with SCSI raid that allows you to install and re-install a lot of distros from Slack to Ubuntu, from various Fedora to Gentoo and much more. You can reboot, shutdown etc the VPS by a CP developed by Spry and at this time there are two CP for web hosting purposes available: Direct Admin and Server CP (Zervex). I'm thinking in purchase my own Plesk for this VPS and upgrade it to the maximum because Open VZ really rocks. My actual environment there is Fedora Core 6 complete distro.

Regards and best of luck

ok i wasn't sure where to put this, so i put it at the end...
I agree with many many of the ideas, comments, and opinions posted in this thread in regards to hacking, security and responsibility for a person's server security... Heck, i even have a security guy go through and "check/fix" anything he finds wrong with it,(Security guy "everything looks good" (two weeks ago)) the issue i have with plesk right now is this...
Watchdog (System monitoring module) Mar 22, 2007 Mar 22, 2007 You have an up to date version

it runs every week on my system and said everything was fine...well that is, up until 2 days ago when everything was fine in the report i got sent by the system, but the data center is telling me my system was involved in a DDOS attack, and when i try to login to it, i can't through ssh, the CP still lets me in, but no ssh there either.. my ftp works just fine... so my user password hasn't been changed..
My login works from the console, and so does the root login (that's disabled in SSH and i use a non-standard port and only ssh2) the server's had yum ran on it and pretty much EVERYTHING works except for remote access...
so, where should i place the blame for this?, i ran yum update, and the older programs were patched or updated, even had this system online and open to the internet for almost 4 years now, yet, within a short period of time after updating to 8.1.1 my data center's telling me my box is compromised?

OK, just to be fair... there are network and server admins out there who have forgotten more about servers than i will EVER probably learn, but some thing's got to be up with this..

funniest part is, watchdog says everything is OK, except it's not too happy with some of the "older or patched" versions of 4 applications...

so where do i go from here? I'm paying remote hands that know what they are doing (yes my server is colo) to look at a system that no one can get into (with enough access or permissions to do anything) except from the console, (ssh/telnet flat will not work) and now paying them to install an OS on one of my other servers there and move my sites and files over...
I love plesk, the features the interface (hate cPanel) the applications, and the ease of management, but i'm going on my "umpteenth" issue over the past 4 years,and each of the major ones have been due to the plesk software, migration, and/or updates, whatever the cause i have gone from having a need for a 100 domain lic down to less than 30 again... and honestly it's due to problems that i feel are the result of plesk's (insert item here) breaking or messing something up...
No there are no other items running on the system that can be exploited, clients aren't given shell access for any reason, hell even the uptime eggdrop will ignore you completely if you don't know how to access it.. so i'm stuck a bit, perplexed, confused, aggravated, and just plain tired of having to deal with these issues, only to come here and find out that i'm not the only one having them...
I'm having the data center leave the box intact so it can be brought here for testing on an isolated internal network (yeah i got some toys here) I have a real hard time believing that the guys at the data center have 5 hours into this and can't get ssh up and running to where it's accessible from the outside world.. But since it's colo, (250+ miles way) i am forced to take their word for it..

it's fedora C2 and plesk 8.1.1

FC2, ouch. :p To start with, you need to upgrade that ASAP, it was EOL'd almost a year ago. There are vulnerabilities in that platform that there are no fixes for. Second thing, watchdog uses rkhunter for security monitoring, which is awesome for what its good at, provided its kept up to date, and the signatures for it are also maintained. Unfortunately, because of the first issue, it is not maintained well for your platform.

yeah i guess i shouldn't complain, not after as long as that system ran.. (how bout i still complain about plesk, but give FC2 a pass on this?) I switched to CentOS and attempted to restore a backup that was created at the console. after the third time of running the ./restore --massbrainmelt filename -blah -more blah it finally restored all 20 domains
with errors............

not sure what to look for, but that's all for a different thread..

Not sure what was compromised on the old box, but it's plugging away until i am certain every thing's right on this new system, (still refuses to accept any connections from outside of the panel, or outside of the console..except for ftp of course) then it should be a simple matter of shutting the old one down, and assigning the ips to the new one, then jog through the domains on the new one and assign them all to their original IP addresses..

Thanks for the response, and for listening to me whine...

Bill
*me heads over to the backup issues threads...

SeeksAdmin Kernal Upgrading

That's the support offered by SWSoft that is. Their response time is actually excellent, I got a reply in 5 minutes and I didn't even have a paid support license LOL.

SeeksAdmin costs me only $25/month and it covers things far beyond just Plesk support.... they secure my server, monitor uptime, install scripts, fix bugs, configure mysql and other things for best performance, etc.

Have you ever had SeeksAdmin do a full kernal upgrade? I am running Fedora Core 5 which I think will no longer be supported to soon. The price for their admin service and remote helpdesk outsourcing seem terrific! Exactly what we have been needing!!!! Of course it looks to good to be true for that price ;)

Greetings:

When you do business on the Internet, it is critical to know some of the following facts:

1. All operating systems are insecure out of the box; do not assume any rented, leased, or purchased equipment have operating systems that have been hardened or otherwise secured.

2. All automation systems and control panels are insecure out of the box; do not assume that a control panel is secure or any security that it may offer or advertise is enough.

3. All server and end user-based applications (Mambo, Joomla, Apache, mySQL, etc.) are insecure out of the box; do not assume such applications are secure just because they may have been installed by an automation system.

Security needs to be a way of life on the Internet from secure passwords (now a days, 12 alphanumeric, special characters, random) to securing the operating system to securing the automation system(s) utilized, to securing the applications run in addition to such things.

Furthermore, hackers are not content for status quo; they regularly change their ways to try and determine what will work quickly or not. So any security put into place must be regularly updated, regularly reviewed for improvement. Theres no such thing as a one time server hardening (well you could, but thats like buying 9 volt batteries and thinking they will work forever without having to be recharged).

Backup is also critical enough that it should never be assumed that whatever purchased, rented, or leased is sufficient in its own means of backup.

Thus stated, please dont blame an automation system for being hacked right off the bat; instead, look at whether the operating system was secured, the automation system secured, etc.

Thank you.

This has to be one of the longest running threads on the forums - unbelieveable! Interesting reading nevertheless. Some well made points in this thread for sure.

/me thanks the senior d00des for their ongoing participation (you know who you are guys) and y'all are still writing interesting/useful as well as thought provoking stuff after all these years.

Regards,
/porky

Back