• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue We can't find a download URL only in VPS

ramherfer

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS Linux 7.9.2009
Plesk version and microupdate number
Obsidian 18.0.52 Update 3
Good morning, I have Joomla 4.1 installed on a VPS server with Plesk Obsidian 18.0.52 Update 3 and I have to do the updates manually because it shows me the message "We can't find a download URL." Outside the server in the same hosting provider I have another joomla website that updates are done without problems and automatically.
It seems quite obvious to me that I have the problem on the VPS, but I don't understand the reason or how to solve it.
Can someone guide me on what may be happening to me in Plesk, or the reason why it does not update automatically.
Thank you.
Ramiro

Hi,

The warning you get is a known issue in Joomla 4. It seems to be related to the database version used on the server:

Which version of MySQL or MariaDB are you using on the server?

The mysql version on my server is 5.5.68.
I don't know if I should update it, I haven't done it since I have several websites on my Joomla and prestashop vps and I'm afraid they may stop working.

As you're running VPSes, do you have the option to create a snapshot of the VPS before upgrading the database? That way, you can always return to the previous state if something doesn't work as expected.

My personal opinion:
Don't wait too long with the database upgrades. The longer you wait, the more difficult it gets. Going from MariaDB 5.5 to MariaDB 10.6 is already a big step and can't be done without first going from 5.5 -> 10.3 -> 10.6. MariaDB 10.6 is an LTS (Long Term Support) version and gets updates until Jul 2026.

I'll try it next weekend. If something goes wrong (Murphi's Law) I put many websites at risk and I will need time to put them back online. I don't trust Snapshots much. I was backing up the server with Acronis and the first time I needed a full system restore it didn't work. Since then the panic in needs that depend on others seized me.
At the moment, knowing the origin of the problem, I almost prefer having to update the damn Joomla manually (while he can) than putting all the web's at risk.
In the near future I will have to migrate from Centos 7.9.2009 to Debian 11.7, perhaps it is the perfect moment to first update MySQL in Debian and then import the web's.

I never had any issues with snapshots.
Shut down the VPS, create a snapshot, and next, turn on the VPS again.

In case of an issue, restore from the snapshot you just created. It should work without any problems.
Maybe you can spin up a test VPS to see how this works?

Snapshots is not the same as Acronis. When you're doing a snapshot through your VPS provider's portal you are taking an image of your VPS virtual disk so when you're restoring to the snapshot you are replacing the virtual disk with the snapshotted version which is a lot better compared to what Aronis does.

Back