1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

We have money, but no solution...

Discussion in 'Plesk Expand 2.0 and Legacy General Discussion' started by knocx, Dec 14, 2004.

1. knocx

knocx Guest

Unless PLESK Expand Support distributed architecture , its useless...

Current version of Expand may only help administration a little.

What do we hosting providers expect is Realy a distributed Architecture

- Single point of entry for any customer
    - Single point of management for any customer such that client may have 4-5 hosting packets on different servers Say 2 Windows hosting and 3 linux hosting
    - Single point of ticketing and billing
    - Qmail/horde IMP is not a professional combination we want to give merak mail to our customers even if they are on linux servers
    - By above i mean that there should be a real distributed architecture like www.sitepack.com

i.e we need the following config.

- Saparate Master & Slave DNS Server
    - Saparate mail servers (MERAK)
    - Saparate MSSQL Server
    - Saparate MySQL Server
    - Saparate IIS
    - Saparate Apache
    - Saparate SiteBuilder
    - Sigle point of entry for the client

I mean that the things should be trasparent as possible to clients

In current situation of our company (we have 14 servers) we have do the same administrative task 14 times
    if a patch/update releases for a service , for each mail server , for each web server, for each app ...etc

I believe Sw-Soft has the power to change things and become the leader of CP ýndustry . Hosting industry is enlarged...
    i was 22 when i had started to run my company , but thing changed since then now i am 30.
    If PLESK wants to sell its products to professionals they should quickly switch their infrastructure to open system architecture
    rather than staying closed.

No one wants monolithic control panels any more. They are only good for beginners.

Plesk Expand also should have the following Centralized capabilities

- Trouble Ticket system (including searchable FAQ)
    - an Open Billing System (supporting custom CC clearing interfaces) or an API
    - Definition and sales of products (including Non Hosting Products, such as Domain registration , Managed DNS ) or an API
    - Shopping (present customers should by new products here) or an API
    - Open Domain registration System that can use several APIs distributedly or an API

And my last words ; we can give 3-4K$ cash for such a software + price per distributed server (DNS,Email). The problem is
    We have the money (i mean mid sized hosting companies running 5-6K domains) but there are no suitable solution for us.
    Who has the solution first , will rock the control panel market believe me...

Thanks For reading

knocx

2. Cranky

Cranky Guest

I can see all that being useful ... except merak mail ... that needs to be an option. Mail for us is linux-based and is staying that way. There is software that can do what you say, but not plesk-based, but SWsoft are working on changing that according to their Plesk Expand product pages:

Once they get around to this they will be even more unbeatable.

3. NxTek

NxTek Guest

I wouldn't say useless.

Agreed

Cerberus is planning Plesk integration which should be quite nice. Plesk's helpdesk is very poor.

As soon as the distributed services are available, we will be using qmail/spamassassin/clamav/squirrelmail.

Agreed

4. knocx

knocx Guest

the reason i insist on merak is that it has no problems with Turkish version of their webmail IMP has a mime problem with Turkish encoding. We have translated Horde/ IMP/ Turba into turkish but actually mime has broken... We have reported that to Horde but they dont respond ina meaningful way, they say "yea we are aware of the issue"... OK we need to work with professionals, we do not have time to loose thats why we do not use freeware Control panels do we? :)

Merak is the best SMTP Server i have ever used, i cant believe that something working on the top of Windows can be that powerful. Not only in management options but its delivery performance really rocks without interrupting other executions. I dont know the code inside but it should realy be well threaded and efficiently scheduled among the OS.

It also has great additional tools for migration and commandline administration. They provide an awesome API for their mail server.

Thats why we would like to use the SMTP servers as MERAK.on a disrtibuted enviroment , give merak a chance and you will all throw away qmail or posfix...etc

Kind regards
    knocx

5. NxTek

NxTek Guest

I've not used Merak, we've been running qmail for about 2 years and have had no problems at all. We ran Sendmail before that.