• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Webmail don't work

blackeyes972

New Pleskian
Hi I recently purchased a cloud server 1and1 and reflected a problem webmail does not open. With a .it domain I moved the dns and everything is ok. With a .com purchased from 1and1 I moved the dns domain works well but the webmail does not open. The service is active mailbox is created and active.
Since it depends?
I thought about the firewall but the .it work

What exactly do you mean by "webmail does not open"? Do you see a blank page? Can't you login to webmail? Is the request redirected to your main domain? Do you see an error message? What exactly means "moved the dns"?

I see the blank page with this ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED error.With the .it page is opened you can log in and everything works.The .com domain is only the domain without web space with DNS management.

Does your webmail.domain.tld resolve to the IP address of your server. Example: In Windows
> ping webmail.domain.tld

Check what nameservers your domain is using and simply add a DNS "A" record pointing to your server's IP address.

In the mean time, if you go to the webmail for your .it domain, I think you'll be able login there with a mailbox on your .com domain. That will allow you to do some testing while you wait for the DNS to propagate.

Since the webmail record is missing it would be wise to check that everything else is OK, especially your MX record.

The DNS configuration is the same as .it where the webmail works ...
in .com can't log in to the webmail I see the blank page

Unable to reach the site

Can not find the DNS server address of webmail.......com.
Try to:
Test your connection
Check the proxy configuration, firewall and DNS
Run the tool Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

The DNS configuration is the same as .it where the webmail works ...

It is clearly and only a DNS issue. You must reconfigure the record. Make sure that in your domain the nameserver is entered where you configure the records. If the DNS records match your .it domain, it could still be that that domain does not use these records, but different records.

ok by checking mxtools missing records
My setup of plesk is this:

Host Tipo di record Valore
ftp.mydomain.com. CNAME mydomain.com.
ipv4.mydomain.com. A my_ip_address
mydomain.com. TXT v=spf1 +a +mx +a:mydomain.it -all
_dmarc.mydomain.com. TXT v=DMARC1; p=none
www.mydomain.com. CNAME mydomain.com.
mail.mydomain.com. A my_ip_address
mydomain.com. MX (10) mail.mydomain.com.
mydomain.com. NS ns2.mydomain.com.
ns1.mydomain.com. A my_ip_address
ns2.mydomain.com. A my_ip_address
mydomain.com. A my_ip_address
webmail.mydomain.com. A my_ip_address
mydomain.com. NS ns1.mydomain.com.

what is missing?

It may be nothing to do with a record missing in Plesk.

I'd start by checking the nameservers, and then directly query them to see if they respond.

Start with...
nslookup -type=NS mydomain.com

That should return ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com, with the your server's IP address (as in the ns1 and ns2 "A" records). If it does not, then you've got the nameservers wrong on your domain registration, or there's some other problem with the domain. (Do a whois and check for "client hold".)

If it returns the correct nameservers, then try...

nslookup webmail.mydomain.com my_ip_address

That's directly querying your server to see what DNS records it has.

If it doesn't return anything, check that you've got port 53 open for both TCP and UDP, and check that your dns server - BIND or whatever - is actually running.

If you share the domain name, it might be possible to tell you more.

PS C:\Users\Alessandro> nslookup -type=NS blackeyes972.com
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Server: UnKnown
Address: 2001:4860:4860::8888

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Tempo scaduto per la richiesta a UnKnown
in Control Panel 1and1 Related to Domain I set to use the 1and1 nameservers And Their DNS.
the MX record mail.blackeyes972.com

the DNS of 1and1:
ns1096.ui-dns.com
ns1106.ui-dns.org
ns1112.ui-dns.de
ns1113.ui-dns.biz

dns server - BIND is actually running.

Why do you have DNS records and DNS server entries configured on your own IP address when the domain is actually using the DNS records of the 1and1 nameservers? According to DNS tests against the domain, webmail.blackeyes972.com is unconfigured. It does not help when it is configured in your local server's DNS, because these records will never be used as they are not the authorative records for your domain. You need to check what's been set in the 1and1 DNS records and add webmail subdomain there.

Usually I purchase the domains of onlinenic where it was enough to create my dns and bind the IP address of my server and then I used my dns in ns.nomedominio format. For this I used this configuration on the server. Seemed to work around the site is accessible so I was not worried.
Now I have changed the configuration so:
blackeyes972.com. TXT v=spf1 +a +mx +a a:papaemerito.it -all
ftp.blackeyes972.com. CNAME blackeyes972.com.
_dmarc.blackeyes972.com. TXT v=DMARC1; p=none
www.blackeyes972.com. CNAME blackeyes972.com.
webmail.blackeyes972.com. A 82.223.12.233
ipv4.blackeyes972.com. A 82.223.12.233
mail.blackeyes972.com. A 82.223.12.233
blackeyes972.com. NS ns1096.ui-dns.com.
ns1106.ui-dns.org.blackeyes972.com. A 82.223.12.233
ns1096.ui-dns.com.blackeyes972.com. A 82.223.12.233
blackeyes972.com. A 82.223.12.233
blackeyes972.com. MX (10) mail.blackeyes972.com.
blackeyes972.com. NS ns1106.ui-dns.org.

PS C:\Users\Alessandro> nslookup -type=NS blackeyes972.com
Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com

Risposta da un server non autorevole:
blackeyes972.com nameserver = ns1112.ui-dns.de
blackeyes972.com nameserver = ns1096.ui-dns.com
blackeyes972.com nameserver = ns1106.ui-dns.org
blackeyes972.com nameserver = ns1113.ui-dns.biz
PS C:\Users\Alessandro> nslookup webmail.blackeyes972.com
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Server: UnKnown

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** UnKnown non è in grado di trovare webmail.blackeyes972.com: Non-existent domain
PS C:\Users\Alessandro>

dns seem ok but webmail does not work. What escapes me?

Last edited:
You seem to be configuring the wrong nameserver. The webmail record is not available, because you have not set it in the nameserver that has been entered in your domain. If your domain is configured to use nameserver A and B, but you keep updating nameserver C and D, it won't change anything. You need to add webmail to nameserver A and B.

How do I configure plesk for 1and1 domain name?

It is not about configuring Plesk. It is about configuring your name server that is authoritative for your domain name. In your domain name record there are name servers. These servers are responsible for translating a request to a domain like webmail.* to your IP address. In these nameservers you must enter the webmail.* A-Record to point to your Plesk host. Else, webmail will not resolve to the Plesk host. This is not anything you enter in Plesk, but in your nameservers.

if I understand I can't use the nameserver setup 1and1 and their dns as currently set on the domain control panel, but I have to use my nameserver and my dns. Right? otherwise I would not know how to intervene on my nameservers

ok I solved thanks for the kind availability

It is not about configuring Plesk. It is about configuring your name server that is authoritative for your domain name. In your domain name record there are name servers. These servers are responsible for translating a request to a domain like webmail.* to your IP address. In these nameservers you must enter the webmail.* A-Record to point to your Plesk host. Else, webmail will not resolve to the Plesk host. This is not anything you enter in Plesk, but in your nameservers.

Have any tutorial for this issue??

Back