• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Webserver disappears after doing ... nothing relevant?

Rexodus

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu server 22.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Web Admin Edition Version 18.0.46 Update #1
Hello reader,

I installed Plesk yesterday with the following command:

sh <(curl https://autoinstall.plesk.com/one-click-installer || wget -O - https://autoinstall.plesk.com/one-click-installer)

Then I had everything running. That is, Plesk itself, the mail in and out, PHPBB and even Wordpress was up and worked fine. Even Nessus had nothing to complain. So everything was up and I was mostly bussy tweaking my forum.

As far as I can remember, in added an email address in Plesk and then the web server went down. It also won't start up again. Reboot has no use. I spent a whole day trying to fix it. I even reinstalled plesk and apache because it was all giving errors (which I probably partly caused myself by my fiddling at the prompt.). In the end, I started all over again. Brandnew Ubuntu. The first thing I did after installing Ubuntu. was installing Plesk so there had been no intervention from me. So a completely clean install. Everything set up from scratch, mail, webserver with SSL and PHPBB and Wordpress. Everything was working nice again, But the same thing happened to me again! That webserver is not up anymore. When I run Diagnose & Repair, it says everything is perfectly fine! Green check marks everywhere while the whole thing is down! Nmap confirms it too. 80 and 443 are not approachable via localhost.

Something is killing that server. And I have no idea what. I don't even have a clue where to start with thinking. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

It is very difficult to give advice here without technical details, logs, error messages, and so on.
To start with, I would recommend you collect more details about errors from Plesk log files, webserver, mailserver: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/213403509
Try to find something related to the problem there. That way, it will be easier to find the cause of the problem.

It is very difficult to give advice here without technical details, logs, error messages, and so on.
To start with, I would recommend you collect more details about errors from Plesk log files, webserver, mailserver: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/213403509
Try to find something related to the problem there. That way, it will be easier to find the cause of the problem.

Hi IgorG! Thanks for your reply!

Some logs are empty. In others was nothing useful to read. /var/log/Apache2 looked just fine too. Like I said, Plesk thinks everything is just fine, while Apache was not even running (correctly). By the way, I never checked if Apache was running with the ports shut. So, it may be possible Apache was up but with closed ports. I only checked if the ports were open or closed. Both ports were closed.

Anyway, last night I looked at my browser while I was going for the loo, and spontaneous, there was a tab with PHPBB. To my surprise, Apache started or opened it ports itself and everything works like expected. Let me be clear, I was sleeping.

I still hope this was cluelessness from my side. But so far I even don't know where to look to blame myself. AFAIK I did nothing special to arrange this strange behavior. Up to twice! < This concerns me most. It happened twice in a row. Second time with a brand new install. Exactly the same happened.

What I did:
- First time: Running OS with all kind of services
- Second time: Reinstall fresh OS clean
- both times: Install Plesk

In Plesk:
- activate domain
- Install clean web-server
- Install SSL
- Test web server
- Install mail
- Test mail
- Install PHPBB
- Install WordPress
- Test everything

After it stopped working, first time I did:
- reading logs a lot. Googling a lot, concluding I was the only person on this planet with this problem (again ;))
- restarting Apache (which did that nicely btw, I'm thinking now)
- Uninstall Apache
- uninstall Plesk
- reboot
- Install Plesk
- Let Plesk do the job

Second time (this is still running)
- Install Ubuntu 22.04 server
- Install Plesk
- See chapter "In Plesk:"

So far so good... Both times everything was up and running. It worked snappy and fast. I've tweaked a lot in PHPBB (first time), till the moment I did something not relevant to Apache's disappearing (I'm almost certain I was adding mail-users the first time too), and I was done. With the web server gone, your play is over. At least, Plesk didn't provide me a solution, which was still running, fortunately. But I understand this is NGINX. No Apache.

I did see your URL. But if you can tell me exactly what logs I should look, maybe I can figure something out after all. Maybe I didn't look careful enough. Maybe I did overlook the one that tells me what is wrong. But AFAIK, I've seen all the relevant logs. And yesternight I had square eyes, searching through logs, finding nothing I could use... Now I'm awake for an hour. Fresh day, fresh chances :p

Again??

Please see attachment.

Attachments

• 2022-09-08 07_47_06-Issue - Webserver disappears after doing ... nothing relevant_ _ Plesk For...png
    2022-09-08 07_47_06-Issue - Webserver disappears after doing ... nothing relevant_ _ Plesk For...png
    12.9 KB · Views: 8
Back