• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Welcome email and password retrieval

BjornO

New Pleskian
Hi there,

We are just setting up our first Plesk server aimed at hosting customers and I notice that the emails being sent out by Plesk are both limited in their content as well as lacking account passwords.

While I can see that there are security issues by having passwords sent by email, the current process also seems a bit tedious. In short, the process can be described like this:

- A new customer will receive an email notifying them that an account has been created, and to click a link to retrieve their password
- When they do so, they are taken to a page where they must request instructions on *changing* their password (they had never received their password in the first place)
- They then receive an email with a link that must be clicked to set their password
- If I am not mistaking, this is also just regarding their control panel password. No information on FTP password has been given them at this time.

So to summarize: To get a password and log in for the first time, they must first wait for two emails, both containing a link and both requiring them to enter some information. And this happens even though we have generated random passwords for both the control panel and web user when creating the customer/account!

In my opinion, this seems a bit time consuming, not to mention too complicated for a lot of users - especially those who barely know what a hosting account is in the first place and think that the control panel is something that is found in Windows (and yes, we have a few of them).

So I am left with the following questions:

1. Is there a way that we can simplify this process in the control panel (yes, we will be integrating with our billing system in time, and can have the billing system handle all these emails later, but for now we need to rely on Plesk's built in solution)
2. Is there a way that I can use placeholders in the welcome emails, e.g. placeholder for which domain name that has been created, mail server addresses, site preview, etc.?

Regards,
Bjørn

Back