• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question What is the true maximum number of domains possible?

Bitpalast

Plesk addicted!
Plesk Guru
Host systems are getting more powerful, so naturally they can handle many more domains than what was possible a few years ago. But according to documentation and Apache settings page the number of sites on a server is limited to 900, and that only when piped logs are enabled:
"This option is recommended if you host more than 300 sites on one server. It allows hosting of up to 900 sites with only slight reduction in performance."

In Increasing the Number of Domains that Plesk Can Serve it is said that more than 900 domains need recompilation of libaries.

Tests that I did give a different result: I have been using more than 900 domains (including subdomains) on several hosts for some years now and had solved the open files limit by ulimit additions in the startup scripts. Now I've tested what happens when for example 1400 domains are running on a server. Surprise: Nothing happens, so obviously the 900 sites limit can be passed without recompiling libraries but simply setting rlimit_files, worker_rlimit_nofile, fs.file-max and entries in /etc/security/limits.conf and so on -- all the stuff that needs to be set for high volume systems anyway. There don't seem to be any issues with Apache when going way beyond 900 domains.

I wonder whether this is a safe way of doing it or why this magic "900" sites number is still listed in Plesk documentation? Does anyone else have experience with large domain number on Plesk hosts?

Hi Peter,

Thank you for this question. This magic number 900 looks like a bit outdated. And mentioned documentation with references to Plesk 7.5 and 8.x is outdated too.
I have informed our Documentation Team about this fact and they are going to review this document and update it with actual information.

Hi Igor,

do you have got any information from the team, yet? Beside the technical limitation this should also be considered from the point of risk management.

Yves

Back