• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question What to monitor?

kek

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
So, recently I migrated to VPS hosting and plesk for my sites. But I have never used unmanaged before, so I am not technically aware of all things.

Which tabs in plesk should I always keep an eye on to see if something fishy is going on? Like if someone floods the server or there is sudden increase in CPU consumption for some reason?

The monitoring tool gives you information about current and historic CPU, memory and disk usage. It has thresholds set for each of those resources and will send you a notification if those thresholds are reached.

Reactions: kek
The monitoring tool gives you information about current and historic CPU, memory and disk usage. It has thresholds set for each of those resources and will send you a notification if those thresholds are reached.
Thanks man.

Also, I just saw my fail2ban list and it already got loads of IPs blacklisted. If in case, the attack gets more serious, how will I particularly know? I have already put the domain behind and configured necessary stuff like blocking xml rpc etc.

Sadly a server is always being probed for weaknesses, mostly by bots. Seeing IP's listed in fail2ban means fail2ban is doing its job. Nothing to worry too much about. It does not mean your server is actually being 'attacked'. This all doesn't need to be a big problem, unless your resources hit the threshold.

At the same time having a low server 'load' doesn't mean you're 'safe'. As I said, bots are constantly probing your server for weaknesses. So keep things up to date and use strong passwords.

Want to know more about securing your server? This is a good start: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/12377600194583-How-to-secure-a-Plesk-server

Back