• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

When limits are exceeded, what does user see?

E

ElricM

Can someone tell me what a web visitor sees when the limits of a domain (say bandwidth) are exceeded? I want to put bandwidth limits on a domain to limit the monthly bandwidth from file downloads, but I'd like to know what the user will see. If it's a Plesk error page, can I customize it?

I've searched through the doc and this forum but I can't find the answer.

Thanks

Good question; I'd like to know this as well.

I'd imagine if the client is way over quota, the web users out there will not even see a page, they'll see something like "too many users" I'm not certain though :)

-poke

It's just a soft-limit. It will warn admin, client, domain user in Plesk, and will email notifications as configured in the server section of Plesk, but it won't actually suspend a site for you.

The only hard-limits are "hard quotas" in the "setup" section of domain pages, and mailbox quotas.

Ooooo... this is not good!

You mean there's no way to limit the bandwidth of an individual domain? I don't want one client's domain to dominate the others

You can switch a domain off when you receive the warning, but that's about all. If you have root/admin access you could write or buy a script which can automatically suspend the domain.

If you have root/admin access you could write or buy a script which can automatically suspend the domain.
What would a script like that look like or where would I get it? I'm not sure how I'd determine the domain's current usage or how to tell Plesk to disable it and redirect to another page.

Well that was interesting...

I thought maybe I had found an answer. I ran the following script on a test domain thinking I could attach it to an event for when the traffic limits had been reached:

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/domainmng --turn-off --domain-name=mydomain.com

This worked as I would have imagined, I got the default Plesk page rather than the index.hml page for mydomain.com.

HOWEVER, the reverse command:

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/domainmng --turn-on --domain-name=mydomain.com

Still gives me the default Plesk page. I've even disabled and reenabled the domain in the Plesk Control Panel and I still get the default Plesk page even though the apache virtual server for mydomain.com is running

EDIT: Nevermind, it just took awhile. Maybe it takes time for the DNS to resolve again, I have no clue.

Sooo.... maybe this is the way to do it? I can add an event to the event manage and run the command above.

Can someone tell me how to feed the name of the domain that triggered the event to the script? Should the command run as root or psaadm?

update: I see that in Event Manager, for the event:

'Limit on traffic reached for domain'

I can pass into the script the parameters: <old_maximum_traffic> <new_maximum_traffic>

although I don't know what good that's going to do me. I need to know the name of the domain that tripped the event. Also, looking through posts here, it seems the Event Manager might be buggy. Buggy to the point that events don't actually trigger scripts.

Has anybody done this or worked with Event Manager? I'm using 7.5.3 on RHEL3

But how you do you disable the "Enable/Disable" domain button for clients? As its kind of a bit silly disabling a domain, when they can enable it themselves, no?

When the domain is disabled by the administrator, clients cannot even get onto the domain's plesk page, let alone enable it.

I assume this is the same for when a domain is disabled by API or command line.

Back