• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Where are node and npm? node not found, opt/plesk/node/17 not on server

timkarl

New Pleskian
Hello there,

I have installed Node.js accordingly to the instructions. Because my server does not just serve static files I have to start some scripts (webpack, server start). I tried starting the scripts ("start") manually with the FTP access (my website server is: Linux ae80d 4.19.0-17-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.194-3 (2021-07-18) x86_64):
bash-5.0$ npm run start
bash: npm: command not found
According to the forum and according to the logs in the .npm directory in my root; node and npm are in opt/plesk/node/bin/17. Here is a part of such log file:
0 verbose cli [
0 verbose cli '/opt/plesk/node/17/bin/node',
0 verbose cli '/opt/plesk/node/17/bin/npm',
0 verbose cli 'install'
0 verbose cli ]
1 info using [email protected]
2 info using [email protected]
Now when running the scripts in the GUI of Plesk I get the same error. When I write /opt/plesk/node/17/bin/npm instead of npm command in package.json it works via the GUI but fails at a subscript of webpack which uses the node command somewhere. So apparently Plesk has access to these files and the node_packages, which I do not have?!

So to my question: Where can I find this bin?

I have chrooted access but there is no opt directory. I am sadly not too experienced in server management but rather in local web-developing and standard Linux stuff. I am glad for any help!

Back