• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Where are the INBOX folder? And why Qmail with Postfix?

WhiteTiger

Basic Pleskian
oSTicket wants the name of the Inbox folder and the name of a folder where to move emails after the fetch.
In "/var/qmail/mailnames/subscription/user/" I don't see a folder for Inbox.

In addition, other folders have a dot in front of their name. How should I report them? With or without the dot?
This is because osTicket keeps reporting Folder Not Existent.

Finally, if I have defined Postfix in the settings, why does the path refer to qmail?

Are you using Dovecot or Courier?

oSTicket wants the name of the Inbox folder and the name of a folder where to move emails after the fetch.
In "/var/qmail/mailnames/subscription/user/" I don't see a folder for Inbox.
The inbox email messages are located at /var/qmail/mailnames/<domainname>/<user>/Maildir/cur when using Dovecot.

In addition, other folders have a dot in front of their name. How should I report them? With or without the dot?
This is because osTicket keeps reporting Folder Not Existent.
With the dot. So /var/qmail/mailnames/<domainname>/<user>/Maildir/.Trash/Cur when using Dovecot.

Finally, if I have defined Postfix in the settings, why does the path refer to qmail?
Legacy reference I suppose. The path /var/qmail/mailnames/ is always used by Plesk, no matter if you actually use Qmail or Postfix.

I'm using Dovecot.

osTicket keeps giving error of non-existent folder indicating:
  1. the complete path (from /var/... to /cur)
  2. only FolderName
  3. only .FolderName
  4. .FolderName/cur

I don't think that osTicket is requesting the path ("folder") on the physical or logical disk. It is asking for a folder where to store mails and folder where to move mails, but this refers to folders that you have created in your mailbox. For example, the document mail root path of a default mailbox is INBOX, and normally the root folder in a mail software is just an empty path like "". From there you might have created subfolders like "sales", "strategy" etc., so you would enter "sales" or "strategy" as folder names. These folders must exist and must be spelled exactly as they are spelled in your mailbox.

As I wrote above, I created the FolderName folder.
Having Roundcube I created it in its root.
I don't think the folder should be created under Inbox, but next to Inbox, so at the root.
But whichever way I enter the name in osTicket, it's always an error.

Just want to share the fix for this, in case is still needed. As the osTicket guesses, the main folder is INBOX from IMAP (Dovecot service) point of view, even tho the underlaying folder is "/var/qmail/mailnames/<domainname>/<user>/Maildir/cur" (as noted by Rasp).

You specify the folder name for the archive ("Fetched - Move to folder" option) in the following format:

INBOX.New_folder_name

and that will allow osTicket to create the following folder in the system: "/var/qmail/mailnames/<domainname>/<user>/Maildir/.New_folder_name", just like the Trash folder has "/var/qmail/mailnames/<domainname>/<user>/Maildir/.Trash" or Sent "/var/qmail/mailnames/<domainname>/<user>/Maildir/.Sent".

This info assumes that you're going to nest the New_folder_name under the INBOX folder, if not, then change the osTicket "Mail Folder" option to the folder that you're aiming to nest the emails under.

Back