• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Where the **** is Migration???????

mparadis

Regular Pleskian
Where the HECK is Migration???????

It's been MONTHS now and many people are STILL waiting for a proper migration manager. I have been needing to move a system for MONTHS now and can't because I'm being held hostage by these new owners.

I've tried everything else and it always leads to problems so am very badly in need of a working migration solution.

What exactly is the problem with the migration manager anyhow? Why was it taken out of the 9.x release and why has it YET to be re-introduced???

It's insane that customers are left hanging like this, I for one have been with you since version 2.x as I recall. It's time companies like plesk/parallels STOP messing with their customers and fix the bloody problems so that we can get on with our work. Happy to see you making EXTRA money but when it comes to being at the cost of everyone, it's not very cool anymore.

Does ANYONE have a simple, reliable means of migrating???

Mike

Last edited:
I think the problem with the Migration Manager is that it probably relies on some of the features in backup-convert, pre9-backup-convert and pleskrestore which, in my experience, don't work from the command line.

Let's face it, the 9.0 pleskrestore official documentation is out of date, and fails to describe some of the critical create-map features upon which a migration manager depends.

So if you're right, what do you think is the solution? Everything I've read seems to lead to all sorts of problems.
I very badly need to move a server and need some way of ensuring a reliable migration.

Thanks for any help you can provide, sure wish these new owners would take the time to explain things once in a while.

My solution has been to completely trash PLESK 9 and install PLESK 8.6 instead. I have migrated from 7.5.4 with no perceived problems.

YET!

With no migration manager in 9 yet, I was stupid to assume that I could use the KnowledgeBase articles and achieve migration from the command line. Lesson Learned.

Darn that seems drastic but basically you're saying that we're not going to be seeing the migration manager anymore and need to use an old version? I've not seen anyone else sharing their thoughts so we don't really know do we?

I don't have a view on whether we're seeing a Migration Manager soon. I do see a whole lot of topics from people asking 'when', and there being no replies from Parallels, and another lot of topics about people asking for help because it doesn't seem to work. [And there being no help from Parallels].

The old version does have a link to upgrade to 9.0.1, that may be the way to go. But I don't see any drop-dead features in 9.0.1 that make me want to risk it, consdering the number of unhappy customers that I read about here.

This forum is becoming a peer-to-peer self-help group. ;)

Silence = worry

So many issues.

Updated plesk for several OS - nothing. For me it's Fedora 9 promised for Plesk 9 but other OS now the same and silence.

The mail queue stopping thread with a hotfix and still issues and more silence.

The migration manager AWOL silence too.

And many more..

Where is an update also AWOL - MIA

I especially don't like that my post was removed because someone didn't like my asking about alternatives. It's not like this is the only forum on the net. Who won't realize that they are being censored???

Last edited:
I received a call almost two weeks ago now from parallels saying that the migration manager was due to be released with in a day or two. Again, that was nearly two weeks ago now and still nothing.

We have decided now that we are going to install Plesk 8.6 on our new server about to be deployed. It's been sitting idle for almost two months with Plesk 9.0.1 and no way to move domains from the old server over to the new.

Wow. I've just stumbled across this thread after trying to find the Migration Manager and I'm shocked. I've been using Plesk since 2005 and have just upgraded to the 100 domain leased package from my old 7.5.4 license only to find I can't even migrate my users!! I'm totally appalled. I was already annoyed that they appear to have discontinued smaller domain bundles but this takes the biscuit! Parallels appear to not care about existing customers. What the hell are we supposed to do with this software if we can't migrate our users to it?!

I'm about to reinstall Ubuntu and install 8.6.0, which I presume will work with my 9.0 license?

Not a happy bunny.

Successful Migration

I just wanted to say I successfully completed a migration of an x-cart site from plesk 8.6.0 to plesk 9.0.1 with no problems. I initiated the transfer from the 8.6.0 box.

I just wanted to say I successfully completed a migration of an x-cart site from plesk 8.6.0 to plesk 9.0.1 with no problems. I initiated the transfer from the 8.6.0 box.

Care to elaborate how you did that?

I'd like to know that too. Are we talking about the same migration manager? The one available from Plesk > System in pre-9 and gone AWOL in 9.x. (It's not there in 9.0.1 either for those who wondered).

So all that glitzy inteface change (that doesn't work with Virtuozzo) and the adding of a Reseller level which just ads another level of administration but lost Migration Manager.

Parallels: One step forward and two back...

I have just installed plesk 9.0.1 as well and was expecting to migration some sites but found out about migration manager not being installed on plesk 9.0.1 after poking around. This is really some sort of marketing mislead. They should have let people know about it it before they install this bloody 9.0.1 version. Now we are stuck with a version where we cannot do any migration. We have to spends more time re-formattin the server and install 8.6.1.

Hope the plesk team can get it up asap. We reall y need thie functions.

The utility will be available in an upcoming patch but if you do not want to wait you can use migration with Backup Manager as a workaround.

Back