• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Which log file shows client login to server

KrazyBob

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS 7.9
Plesk version and microupdate number
After using Plesk for almost 20 years I have never known how to check a log file to show that a particular client logged in to their account at a particular time from a particular IP other than grepping the message file. Is there a more accurate and precise log file to check to show that a client has in fact logged in? We have a client that has received 99.999% up time since 2019 and suddenly declares that our services are unreachable even though we did a traceroute from 10 locations around the world and never dropped a ping. It would be nice to be able to show something tangible now that PayPal is holding our funds.

The Action Log extension shows when a client has logged in on the control panel:

The Action Log extension shows when a client has logged in on the control panel:

I went ahead and installed this and then wondered if I had it already installed. You see, I was working from my cell phone and although I would get a GUI to begin with I was not able to filter it because the filter button did not work. So then I tried it on my desktop and it works just fine. It instantly found what I was looking for. I'm assuming that it un-gz's the various files that have closed themselves. Our servers are quite active and the only way to get a fair representation of client activity is being able to examine All of the log files. This application didn't look at the mod sec blog or the secure FTP log. I found the clients IP address manually when she went to ftp.

Nonetheless, thank you for the link. It works great on my desktop and will probably work on my tablet. I don't like manipulating IPs by my cell phone anyway.

Back