• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

which windows version and how to install

gijsbert

Basic Pleskian
There are many windows 2003 versions available. Does anyone know which version to buy?

As I understand I need the standard version (not the webserver version) if I ever want to use SQL 2000 server. Is this correct?

Also I can choose between 5 CAL's, 10 CAL's (clients) etc. Again which one is right?

Final question: During install there is an option about 'per license' or 'per server' and the number of connections. Does anyone know which options to choose during install?

Regards,

Gijsbert

Depends on how extensively you want to use SQL? MS do provide the MSDE (SQL desktop engine) which can be used on the web server edition of Win2003. It is a bit limited, but can be used for ASP DSN's and the like.

We use it, but rather than pay out the massive fees involved with a full SQL server, we opted for the MYSQL database instead.

The other major omission on the web edition is the media streaming function.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the web edition does not use CALS for the purpose of web hosting.

For the purpose of web hosting niether does standard edition. :) It depends on how robust you want your product to be. He is correct about MSSQL, but MySQL can do the job just as well. :)

My recommendation would be a Windows 2003 Server Standard License with Five Cals. It +Plesk will give you everything you need as long as you aren't trying to run it as an internal office server also.

works fine on a single 2003 enterprise box

what about clustering? seems to me you would want some kind of failover to avoid downtime.

Back