• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Input Why do all php modules are enabled by default/ wich one really necessary ?

Danny325

Basic Pleskian
I dont know most of those Modules and while running through and checking them i discovered i dont need any of those by myself.

Why do they all are enabled by default ? Wouldnt be better to enable those by default wich are really need ?

I uploaded a image, do Plesk need any of those modules i disabled, or does some are need for better security ?

Attachments

• Unbenannt.png
    Unbenannt.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 11
It is understood that the one who turns these PHP modules on or off knows their purpose and does it for a specific purpose.
If you know for sure that, for example, you do not really need the pgsql module, because you do not use PostgreSQL server, then you do not turn it on. And so on.
The main idea is to enable only those PHP modules that are really necessary for your sites.

But thats the problem, most people dont know what those modules does (else they wouldnt use something like plesk) and all are enabled by default.

Some modules are completly unnecessary and should be disabled by default. If someone needs one they will know how to enable, excpect those using cms systems like wordpress.

Last edited:
Plesk is meant to be a general-purpose system that is suitable for most PHP applications. So it makes sense to enable the most common PHP modules by default, otherwise you will have lots of requests from your customers asking you to enable certain PHP modules.
If you're the only person who will install PHP applications on your server then of course you should disable all modules that you don't need. But for webhosting companies those defaults make sense, IMHO

By default, not all modules are enabled. Only the most necessary are enabled. You have the wrong information.

its really not a big deal to enable a module =). I think everyone should be able to click and save.

@IgorG just installed php 7.3.4 and all expect 1 were enabled by default. (i think snmp was the only one disabled). As proove check image of my older untouched settings 7.2.17.

For example bcmath, does someone really use this module ? oO May 1% ?

Attachments

• Unbenannt.png
    Unbenannt.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Well, for example, Magento, one of the better known open source e-commerce platforms, requires bcmath.

I'm not sure we can get to the bottom of this by going from one module to another. Plesk is a general purpose control panel, probably most often used for shared hosting. Hosting customers have a wide spectrum of needs and interests and they mostly just want things to work without contacting support. And so do hosting providers. Who want's to customize every other hosting package by hand? Hence, Plesk rightly covers a lot of ground with the default configuration.

If your usage is more specific, simply adjust the configuration to your needs. A lot of admins do that in any case, Plesk is flexible enough.

Back