• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Woocommerce, Redis, PHP Settings - Newbie questions

Zakky

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Almalinux 9.3
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.58 #2
Hello everyone, I'm new to server setup and panel configuration, and because of this, I would like to ask a few questions for which I haven't found answers, or the answers I found are already outdated.
I've read in guides that setting up Nginx caching might not be the best option for an e-commerce site whose content updates at best once a week. Given this, I would like to know from you the optimal server setup for a WooCommerce online store and also about the basic settings.
  1. During the basic server setup, I have PHP 8.2.15 FPM by Apache, and the Performance Booster extension indicates that 3 boosts are available for this PHP version. These are "Speed up web server static file access" and "Speed up web server compression". Should I trust this extension and at least rely on its suggestions for the basics?
  2. Regardless of the chosen CMS, WooCommerce immediately mentions static caching and indicates that Redis support is enabled by default, although the installed Redis Object Cache plugin signals that there is no access. Should I install and configure it separately through Plesk or SSH, or will the WP Rocket plugin be sufficient? If necessary, could you share a guide for beginners on how to properly configure Redis so that each site uses it separately and the cache doesn't mix?
  3. If I have the FPM by Apache or FPM by nginx versions, do I need to check the FastCGI boxes in the Hosting / Web scripting tab?

Thank you very much for your answers in advance. Sincerely

Last edited by a moderator:
Most topics like these largely remain unanswered by experienced users. I would be very grateful if someone experienced could at least briefly answer these questions. Thank you.

I've read in guides that setting up Nginx caching might not be the best option for an e-commerce site whose content updates at best once a week. Given this, I would like to know from you the optimal server setup for a WooCommerce online store and also about the basic settings.
Nginx caching makes a lot of sense as it can cache static files an make their delivery even faster.
  1. During the basic server setup, I have PHP 8.2.15 FPM by Apache, and the Performance Booster extension indicates that 3 boosts are available for this PHP version. These are "Speed up web server static file access" and "Speed up web server compression". Should I trust this extension and at least rely on its suggestions for the basics?
Yes, you can trust "Performance Booster".
  1. Regardless of the chosen CMS, WooCommerce immediately mentions static caching and indicates that Redis support is enabled by default, although the installed Redis Object Cache plugin signals that there is no access. Should I install and configure it separately through Plesk or SSH, or will the WP Rocket plugin be sufficient? If necessary, could you share a guide for beginners on how to properly configure Redis so that each site uses it separately and the cache doesn't mix?
Use exactly one caching plugin or software only, not counting Nginx caching. It makes not a big difference which one. Website cache plugins have a significant disadvantage: They "preload" he website on a regular basis. This means, that such plugins only make sense if your website is a high traffic website. Else the cpu load created by the caching plugin itself can slow down the website more than what you gain on the few real human visits that take place.
  1. If I have the FPM by Apache or FPM by nginx versions, do I need to check the FastCGI boxes in the Hosting / Web scripting tab?
No.

@Peter Debik thank you very much for your response. If I understand correctly, I can enable nginx caching even if I use FPM Apache or FPM nginx. What do you say about FastCGI? For a small online store website with up to 1000 visitors per day.

At the moment, my configuration is as follows: Php 8.2.15/ FPM Apache, Caching nginx on, nginx settings that are on (proxy mode, smart static files professing and serve static files directly by nginx)

Does my configuration look correct, or is there anything that needs to be disabled? Will these settings cache the process of adding items to the cart?

What do you say about FastCGI? For a small online store website with up to 1000 visitors per day.
FPM = FastCGI Process Manager
If the question is whether you should choose FastCGI over FPM in the PHP interface drop down: Most definitely choose FPM. FastCGI spawns a new instance for every single script request. It is much more resource intensive and much slower. Use FPM.
At the moment, my configuration is as follows: Php 8.2.15/ FPM Apache, Caching nginx on, nginx settings that are on (proxy mode, smart static files professing and serve static files directly by nginx)

Does my configuration look correct, or is there anything that needs to be disabled? Will these settings cache the process of adding items to the cart?
The settings might cache parts of the online shopping transactions, but although the Plesk documentation includes a warning about exactly that situation I have personally never heard from anyone that it was really a problem anywhere.

Thank you very much for your time. It is difficult for a beginner to cope with such rich functionality and to understand everything. Therefore, one has to ask the opinion of more experienced colleagues.

Back