• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Why does the Google Authenticator, on my VPS, no longer work since performing a system reboot?

Craig1986

Basic Pleskian
I run a VPS, which hosts multiple WordPress websites. On these websites, I have the Google Authenticator App/Plugin installed. Recently, I had to Reboot the VPS. Since then the Google Authenticator Plugin has not accepting the Apps generated codes.

I was not sure if the problem was with my web files or the VPS itself. Whilst trying to troubleshoot, I decided to turn Google Authenticator feature off on the VPS as well then back on again. The idea being to re-trigger the Google Authentication screen on the VPS Login page as to see if my pass codes would be accepted. Unfortunately, the Google Authenticate no longer works.

I scanned the Bar Code, as to generate the Pass Codes on my App, which worked, but the Pass Codes are not being accepted. I re-synced the times, within the Google Authenticator App but the times were already correct.

The display I see is ...

upload_2018-8-20_1-32-40.png

Any ideas on why this may be happening and how I can go about resolving this?

I have just gone into the 'System and Date' area, as per the below screenshot:

upload_2018-8-20_2-23-57.png
I am based in the United Kingdom, where we are currently within the BST Timezone (British Summer Time). As such, an hour ahead of our usual GMT Timezone. Referring to the above image, should I manually move the clock forward an hour, so that 01:19:07 appears as 02:19:07 (Obviously putting in the correct time at time of modification)?

Which time should the serve time 'match'? My computer, phone which has the App installed or some other time such as Google's own servers etc?

I have managed to find the issue and thus, the solution.

Although I manually changed the Time Settings, as per my previous answer, what I needed to do was:

• Head to the above image by going to Tools & Settings > General Settings > System Time;
  • Deselect 'Update system time' within the 'Date and time' area;
  • Within the 'Network Time', select 'Synchronize system time';
  • Then enter '3.pool.ntp.org' within the 'Domain name or IP' Text Box.
Once I did this, the Google Authentication not only started to work for the VPS itself but for the hosted Domains too.

A thanks to Mark Muyskens, for pointing me in the right direction!

Back